One of the most dangerous publications of the Anti-Intelligence Lobby was CounterSpy Magazine CounterSpy, published by the Philip Agee cabal of assorted communists, anti-Vietnam radicals, and Hanoi Lobby activists, as well as a group from the cited CPUSA front, the National Lawyers Guild NLG. It evolved from two groups, PEPICand the Organizing Committee for the Fifth Estate OC5, the latter being partially founded and funded by author Norman Mailer..
Their stated goals included the exposure and destruction of the U.S. internal and national defense intelligence systems, including those of the CIA, FBI, congressional committees, state and local police intelligence units, and military counter-intelligence operations. The often exposed real CIA agents as well as those they thought might be CIA agents, which led to the death of the CIA Station Chief, Robert? Welch in Greece.
Agee turned out to be a CIA-turncoat and Cuban secret intelligence asset DGI, and an avowed marxist.
ISSUES OF COUNTERSPY
CounterSpy, Vol. 3, Issue 2, December 1976, is a bimonthly magazine published by Fifth Estate Publishing Company, P.O.Box 647, Ben Franklin Station, Washington, D.C., 20044
- Fifth Estate Publishing Company - Publisher
- Julie Brooks
- Winslow Peck - aka Perry Fellwock
- Ellen Ray - NLG CITE; later a co-founder of CounterSpy's successor, Covert Action Information BulletinCAIB
- Sidney Lens - an old communist from the Revolutionary Workers League and key Mobes leader
- Edgar Lockwood - long associated with the pro-Castro Left in Latin America
- D. Gareth Porter - Gary Porter, a Hanoi-defender and leader of the Hanoi Lobby Indochina Resource Center IRC, then affiliated with Friends of Hanoi organizations. Author of "The Myth of the Bloodbath" denying Ho Chi Minh's slaughter of
tens of thousands of North Vietnamese during several "reform" periods in the 1950's. His testimony defending his writings was found in the series "The Human Cost of Communism in Vietnam", 1972, and was powerfully rebutted by Daniel Teodoru in Part 2 of it.
- Anthony Russo - one of the releasers of the Pentagon Papers who became a hardcore, open supporter of the communists in Vietnam. Affiliated with a U.S.-Vietnam Friendship Association on the West Coast, among other leftist groups and causes.
- William Turner - former FBI agent who hated J. Edgard Hoover and wrote a critical book about the FBI
- Philip Wheaton - a marxist-leaning reverend who formed a small pro-communist operation known as EPICA Ecumenical Program for Inter-American Communications & Action; CISPES; etc.Cite error: Closing
- Robert Katz - Assassination Information Bureau AIB, a leftist group who believed that if Lee Harvey Oswald shot President Kennedy, he had help, or was a CIA dupe, etc.
- William M. Kunstler William Kunstler - attorney and former OSS officer. One of the most brilliant communist-sympathizes in the legal profession. Affiliated with the CPUSA front, the NLG; helped to create the NLG-offshoot, the Center for Constitutional Rights, and was a major developer/proponent of "jury nullification" or court disruption a la the "Chicago 7" trial. Long record of supporting pro-violence and actual terrorist groups from the US to West Germany.
- Dr. Ralph Lewis - Criminal Justice Research Director, Michigan State University
- Col. (Ret.) L. Fletcher Prouty - former Military Liaison to CIA. Turned anti-CIA and wrote expose pieces for either/or Playboy or Penthouse, as well as newspaper articles.
- Kirkpatrick Sale - author of a book about SDS. Radical in his own right. See Bluelinks at KW for more information.
- William H. Schaap - editor, Military Law Reporter, NLG hardcore radical. Key associate of Philip Agee. NLG member.
- Stanley Sheinbaum - American Civil Liberties Union ACLU - veteran California pro-communist radical and writer. Has a long list of communist fronts and causes affiliations which will be listed at KW. Ramparts Magazine.
- Daniel Stern - Professor of Sociology, Northeastern University
- Organizing Committee for the Fifth Estate, Hearings, SISS, 197? CITE