- 1 Family and Personal life
- 2 "Civil liberties" work
- 3 Right Wing Populism in America
- 4 National Committee Against Repressive Legislation
- 5 DataCenter Donor
- 6 Left Forum 2008
- 7 Left Forum 2010
- 8 Defending Dissent
- 9 National Lawyers Guild
- 10 American Civil Liberties Union
- 11 Political Research Associates
- 12 DSA health forum
- 13 DSA Boston Public Facebook Group
- 14 "TeaParties, White rage & right-wing populism"
- 15 Ear to the Ground Project
- 16 Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
- 17 Publications
- 18 References
Chip Berlet is a veteran freelance writer and photographer who specializes in investigating right-wing social movements, apocalyptic scapegoating and conspiracism, and authoritarianism.
Family and Personal life
Berlet and his family lived for ten years in a Southwest– side Chicago neighborhood.
"Civil liberties" work
In the Summer 1985 issue of Shmate: A Journal of Progressive Jewish Thought Leonard Zeskind joined Chip Berlet, Jean Hardisty, Lynn Wells and others in lamenting the emergence of the extreme right. Wells, identified as “Executive Director of the National Anti-Klan Network,” observes:
- Political work against fascism by progressive movements has consisted primarily of a struggle to preserve our civil liberties and the right to organize against the establishment, which periodically names various movements its “enemy.”
In I986 the National Anti-Klan Network changed its name to the Center For Democratic Renewal. The masthead of its newsletter, The Monitor , however, continued to list Lynn Wells as executive director and Leonard Zeskind as director of research.
Right Wing Populism in America
In 2001 Berlet released (with Matt Lyons) a new book "Right Wing Populism in America — Too Close for Comfort".
National Committee Against Repressive Legislation
In 2007 Chip Berlet and Karen Moyer were listed on the DataCenter's annual report as donors to the organization. The Oakland, California based DataCenter is widely regarded as the intellegence wing of the United States Left and has close ties to Cuba.
Left Forum 2008
Is the Christian Right Dead?: The coalition between economic and social conservatives seems kind of rocky coming out of the Bush Presidency that brought them together. Is the Christian Right dead?
- Chip Berlet, Senior Analyst, Political Research Associates
- Tarso Luis Ramos, Research Director, Political Research Associates
- Michelle Goldberg, Author
- Rich Meagher, Political Science, Marymount Manhattan College
Left Forum 2010
Right-Wing Populism, Political Economy & Radical Dissent: Public Eye
- Abby Scher (Chair) - Author, "Post-Palin Feminism;" former Editor, Public Eye Magazine
- Chip Berlet - Senior Analyst, Political Research Associates; Co-author, Right-Wing Populism in America
- Sue Udry - Executive Director, Defending Dissent Foundation
- Tarso Ramos - Executive Director, Political Research Associates
National Lawyers Guild
American Civil Liberties Union
Berlet has assisted lawsuits against governmental agencies’ infringement of civil liberties, including an American Civil Liberties Union lawsuit against illegal surveillance by the Chicago Police Intelligence Unit.
Political Research Associates
Berlet is a senior analyst at Political Research Associates. He has spent "over 25 years studying prejudice, demonization, and scapegoating... defending democracy and diversity... investigated far right hate groups, reactionary backlash movements and theocratic fundamentalism, as well as civil liberties violations by government agencies and police misconduct."
PRA is "an independent, nonprofit research center that unmasks the US political right, collecting and analyzing information on all ultra-right movements and serves as a one–stop information resource for activists, organizers, educators, and others seeking to understand and counter right–wing campaigns, and for journalists needing accurate, up–to–date information and analysis."
DSA health forum
- Rashi Fein, Professor of Medical Economics, Emeritus, at the Harvard Medical School, and author of nine books, including the soon-to-be-published Lessons Learned: Medicine, Economics and Public Policy. A senior staff person on President Kennedy’s Council of Economic Advisors, he helped develop the initial legislation for Medicare
- Chip Berlet, Senior Analyst at Political Research Associates, where he specializes in researching right-wing hate groups, with occasional forays into the left, such as his recent tangle with the 9- 11 “Truth” movement. He is co-author of Right Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort. Chip has been sued twice by the Lyndon LaRouche cult— and won both times!
- Marcia Angell, Senior Lecturer in the Department of Social Medicine at the Harvard Medical School, and formerly Editor in Chief of the New England Journal of Medicine.
DSA Boston Public Facebook Group
"TeaParties, White rage & right-wing populism"
On Nov. 30, 2010, Berlet was scheduled to speak on "TeaParties, White rage & right-wing populism" at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Union Fireside Lounge, 2200 E. Kenwood Ave. The event was sponsored by Progressive Students of Milwaukee; National Lawyers Guild – Milwaukee Chapter; and Peace Action Wisconsin.
Ear to the Ground Project
- We would like to express our deep respect and appreciation for everyone who took the time to talk with us, and the organizations that generously hosted us during our travels. Interviews were confidential, but the following people have agreed to have their names listed for this publication:
Most of those listed were connected to Freedom Road Socialist Organization.
Chip Berlet was among those on the list. 
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included Chip Berlet.
- Right Wing Populism in America: Too Close to Home (co-author)
- Milwaukee Courier: Author Chip Berlet to speak on ‘TeaParties, White rage & right-wing populism’ at UWM Fireside Lounge on Nov. 30, Nov. 20, 2010 (accessed on Nov. 22, 2010)
- [The Watchdogs A close look at Anti-Racist “Watchdog” Groups Second Edition Part 2 By Laird Wilcox]
- DataCenter 2007 Annual Report
- Dissent website: About
- TYR, Sep. 2009
- Ear to the Ground, About, accessed Nov. 12, 2015