Carl Braden of Kentucky was the husband of Anne Braden.
In 1954 , a week before the Brown vs. Board of Education Supreme Court decision, Anne Braden and Carl Braden bought a house in an all-white neighborhood for a black couple, Andrew Wade and Charlotte Wade, who were unable to purchase it due to racial restrictions in real estate. This act resulted in mob violence against the Wades and bombing of the house. Anne recounts: The Prosecuting Attorney said there were two theories. One was that the house was bombed by the neighbors to get rid of the Wades. The other was that this was all a communist plot to foment race hatred in order to overthrow the government of the state of Kentucky. Lewis Lubka, a member of the Wade Defense Committee, recalls being pulled before the Grand Jury and asked, out of the blue, "Were you ever or are you now a member of the Communist Party?"
Although Carl Braden answered “No” he was found guilty of sedition and served 8 months of a 15 year sentence.
- From that point on the Bradens vowed never to give that question legitimacy by answering it.
The Southern Christian Leadership Conference hosted a reception honoring Frank Wilkinson and Carl Braden, April 30, 1961, the day before they went to jail for defying the House committee on Un-American Activities. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Dr. James Dombrowski were present.
Nat'l C'ttee to Abolish the House Un-American Activities C'ttee
Circa 1962, Vice Chairmen of the Communist Party USA front, National Committee to Abolish the House Un-American Activities Committee were:
- Dorothy Marshall, Coordinator
- Sylvia E. Crane, Organization Liaison, New York City, N.Y.
- Charles Jackson, East Coast Region
- Harry Barnard, Midwest Region
- Rev. Edward L. Peet, West Coast Region
- Carl Braden, Southern Region Committee
- John Lewis, Southern Region Committee
- Rev. C. T. Vivian, Southern Region Committee
- Rev. Wyatt Tee Walker, Southern Region Committee
Herbert Aptheker Testimonial Dinner
On April 28, 1966 Carl Braden was a sponsor of the Herbert Aptheker Testimonial Dinner. The dinner was held on the occasion of Herbert Aptheker's 50th birthday, the publication of his 20th book, and the 2nd anniversary of the American Institute for Marxist Studies. It was held in the Sutton Ballroom, The New York Hilton, Avenue of the Americas, 53rd to 54th Street, New York City. Most speakers, organizers and sponsors were known members or supporters of the Communist Party USA.
American Committee for Protection of Foreign Born
GI Civil Liberties Defense Committee
Southern Angela Davis Committee
Southern Angela Davis Committee to Free All Political Prisoners, Louisville, Oct. 7 1973.
- Carl Braden - Southern Conference Educational Fund.
Communist Party member
On February 8 and 9, 1975, the Second National Conference in Solidarity with Chile was held at Concordia Teachers College in the Chicago suburb of River Forest. Known Communist Party USA members sponsoring the event included Carl Braden 
- http://www.fame.defendingdissent.org/profiles/index.php?title=Main_Page Defending Dissent Civil Liberties Hall of Fame, accessed May 12, 2010
- National Committee to Abolish the House Un-American Activities Committee letterhead circa 1962
- Dinner Program for the Herbert Aptheke Dinner, April 28, 1966
- ACFPFB Letterhead, undated Hugh DeLacy paper Acc 3915,Box 3 Folder 20
- Undated, GI Civil Liberties Defense Committee letterhead circa 1969
- [Source: "Revolutionary Activities" hearings, Part 4, HISC, 1973 as cited below, p. 1500 & 1585 as Exhibit 29]
- Hearings before the Subcommittee to investigate the administration of the Internal Security Act, U.S. Senate, 94th congress part 2 July, 1975 (page 182