Boots Riley is a self-described "communist."
Interview with Chip Gibbons
Boots Riley was a proposed featured speaker of the Socialism 2018, an annual socialist gathering sponsored by the International Socialist Organization held in Chicago, Illinois in July 2018. Go to the main page of ISO Socialism Conference...
World Can't Wait
- James Abourezk, former U.S. Senator, South Dakota
- Rosemary Candelario, pro-choice activist
- Warren Hern MD, Physician and pro-choice activist
- Mark Leno, CA State Assembly
- Mark Crispin Miller, professor & writer
- Tomas Olmos, attorney
- Boots Riley, hip hop performer
- Lynne Stewart, attorney
- Gore Vidal, writer
- Sunsara Taylor, writer
- Howard Zinn, historian
- Cynthia McKinney, former U.S. Congressional Representative, Georgia
Occupy Oakland West Coast Port Blockade Press Conference, 12/09/11
Following "police repression" of the Occupy Movement across the country as well as the successful blockade of the Port of Oakland during the November 2nd General Strike, the Occupy Oakland General Assembly issued a call to shut down all West Coast Ports on December 12th.
- This Monday "Wall Street on the Waterfront" will be confronted with coordinated port blockades in San Diego, LA, Oakland, Portland, Tacoma, Seattle, Vancouver, and Houston. The same day, Occupy Anchorage, Occupy Denver, and Occupy Wall Street will be targeting Goldman Sachs and Walmart. Local organizers of the West Coast Port Blockade held a press conference just outside the Port of Oakland at Jack London Square on December 9th to announce the reasoning behind and the plans for the mass demonstrations in Oakland.
Speakers at the press conference were Tim Simmons of Occupy Oakland; Boots Riley of Occupy Oakland, The Coup, and Street Sweeper Social Club; Betty Olson-Jones of the Oakland Education Association; Clarence Thomas of the ILWU and the Million Worker March; Mike King of Occupy Oakland; Jenna Woloshyn of Teamsters Local 70; Kimberly Rojas, Oakland Branch President of the National Postal Mail Handlers Union; Eddie Falcon of Iraq Veterans Against the War; Steve Zeltzer of the Committee to Defend the ILWU; and Bob Mandel of the Oakland Education Association.
- Boots Riley on How His Hit Movie “Sorry to Bother You” Slams Capitalism & Offers Solutions accessed March 31 2019
- “In the World of Film, We’ve Edited out All Rebellion” accessed March 31 2019
- Socialism Conference 2018 Socialism Conference 2018 (accessed July 23 2018)
- [http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2011/12/09/18702297.php. East Bay Indymedia, Occupy Oakland West Coast Port Blockade Press Conference, 12/09/11: photos by Dave Id, Friday Dec 9th, 2011 11:23 PM]