2007 - By Bob Rossi, Salem Club chair
- Our new Communist Party Club in Oregon has eight members, centered in Salem but including people living in the Portland area. Our club grew out of a still-existing socialist group called Willamette Reds. Willamette Reds formed in 2006 with the idea that we could talk directly to other workers about socialism. In fact, we saw this as a necessity in our political environment. We centered the group in members and staff of SEIU Local 503 and we now include four members in WR who are not involved in Local 503. Our group has within it an amazing wealth of union, Palestinian solidarity, community and issue-oriented organizing.
Holy land Trust
in late 2002, Bob Rossi, a peace activist, labor union organizer and co founder of the Palestine Children's Welfare Fund is on a humanitarian misssion in Palestine. He is supposed to visit the children that we sponsor and deliver to them the holiday gifts and the money that we collected for them in the last two months. As you can see from the letter below Bob and his friends Margaret Phillips were both threatened by the IDF at gun point and they are being held hostage by the IDF in the apartment of Mr. Sami Awad , Director of the Holy Land Trust in Palestine.
- With hearts full of sadness I write this letter a couple of days before Christmas to inform you that Israeli army troops have occupied the apartment building we live in and have locked us as well as twelve other families in our apartments. They have told us that they are here for an indefinite period of time and we will not be able to leave our apartments until they leave.
- Both, Bob and Margaret are United States citizens from the state of Oregon of went to Palestine on a humanitarian mission and to visit the holy sites. They entered the country legally and have no record ever or association with any political or military group. 
Latinos for Peace
On October 31 2009, Latinos For Peace issued a statement calling for “no escalation of the war in Afghanistan and for expedited withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan as well as an end to the coup government in Honduras”.
More than 100 activists endorsed the call, including Bob Rossi, Salem, OR.
Future of the peace movement
Nov. 8: 2009, Salem, 2 p.m. “If Peace Broke Out, What Would It Look Like?” Peter Bergel (Oregon Peace Works) and Will Seaman (Pdx. Peaceful Reponse Coalition) spoke at Salem Public Library on the future of the peace movement. Sponsored by Willamette Reds. Contact Bob Rossi.
Free Ahmad Sa'adat
July 10th, 2009 International Association of Democratic Lawyers joined an appeal to UN secretary general Ban Ki Moon demanding that he and the United Nations uphold their responsibilities to protect the rights of Palestinian prisoners and secure their freedom.
The appeal was launched by the Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat.
- Well over 400 international organizations and individuals have supported this call. Signatories of the letter include youth, student and workers' unions, solidarity organizations, lawyers' associations, political parties, human rights groups, and numerous activists, academics and supporters of Palestine from around the world.
Ahmad Sa'adat, the General Secretary of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and a Palestinian national leader, is a leader in the Palestinian prisoners' movement. His recent hunger strike galvanized attention upon the prisoners' struggle. He is a living symbol of the oppression of the occupier and the steadfastness of the Palestinian people and the prisoners as they struggle for freedom, justice, liberation and return.
Committees of Correspondence
- As you may know, our annual activist effort is to support the Pastors for Peace caravan to Cuba. We also collaborated with the Willamette Reds in Salem to host a talk by Bill Fletcher in Salem. Now four of the Reds have joined our chapter also. Bob Rossi is one of those Reds. He is a real burst of energy for our group. He has close ties with leftists in Turkey and Turkish and Syrian Kurdistan, was there this past November, and has returned determined to educate folks about the situation there. To that end, he has now published two newsletters, the title of which is Harvest.
Portland DSA Facebook group
Members of Portland Democratic Socialists of America public Facebook page, as of March 2017 included Bob Rossi.
Fundraising against Ballot Measure 105
Bob Rossi October 15, 2018 ·
The Salem Chapter of Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) and Salem's Racial Justice Organizing Committee partnered to raise funds for the fight against Ballot Measure 105 last Saturday and to do some canvassing. The Salem-Keizer Education Association was kind enough to offer space and good times. We raised $615 in a get-together that lasted less than 45 minutes. Here is a photo of some of us.
We obviously play well with others. So, please feel good about turning out for our DSA meeting on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 1:00 PM at 3850 Portland Rd NE #100---members and friendly non-members needed! And remember our community conversation on implicit bias scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 15 at 6:00 PM at 2540 Coral Ave NE in Salem.
There will be an especially important bilingual community conversation on the fight against Ballot Measure 106 on Friday, Oct. 26 at 5:30 PM at 3850 Portland Rd NE #202. Please show up!
- LinkedIn, accessed March 15, 2013
- Portland IMC, Oregon Activists being held by the IDFUpdate (6:41pm Tue Dec 24 '02): The following message comes from Leslie Frane, Executive Director of SEIU#503, the Oregon Public Employees Union:
- Peaceworker.org, Calendar November 1, 2009
- http://iadllaw.org/en/node/409[IADL joins appeal to protect rights of Palestinian prisoners July 10th, 2009]