Hall has been a leading leftist grassroots organizer in the South since 1970. He worked at the Institute for Southern Studies for 25 years prior to beginning work with Democracy North Carolina.
Institute for Southern Studies Project Advisors
The following members served as Project Advisors at the Institute in December 2011:
- Joe Atkins, Professor, University of Mississippi
- Julian Bond, Chair, NAACP
- Steve Bradberry, Lead Organizer, New Orleans ACORN
- Carlos Guerra, Columnist, San Antonio Express-News
- Pronita Gupta
- Bob Hall, Co-Director, Democracy North Carolina
- Jim Hightower, Author and radio host
- Naomi Klein, Syndicated columnist and author, No Logo
- Darryl Malek-Wiley, Louisiana Environmental Justice Organizer, Sierra Club
- Sangita Nayak, Policy/Communications Director, Praxis Project
- Angie Newsome, Reporter, Asheville Citizen-Times
- Tram Nguyen, Executive Editor, ColorLines
- William Quigley, Professor, Loyola University New Orleans Law School and Director, Poverty Law Clinic
- Lisa Seitz Gruwell, Political Director, Skyline Public Works
New American Movement connection
In 1979 the New American Movement published a booklet entitled "Socialist working papers on energy".
Contributors included Bob Hall who wrote "Investigating Your Local Utility".