- 1 2018 State of the Union Address
- 2 Planned Parenthood
- 3 21st Century Democrats support
- 4 Supported by Council for a Livable World
- 5 ARA endorsement, 2014
- 6 New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- 7 Guest at Congress
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Bill Foster is a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing the 14th district of Illinois. Foster defeated incumbent Judy Biggert (R) in the November 2012 election to re-enter Congress.
2018 State of the Union Address
Several Democrats, including Bill Foster, brought illegal immigrants to the 2018 State of the Union address:
- Kamala Harris brought Denea Joseph, communications coordinator for the UndocuBlack Network.
- Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden brought Daysi Bedolla.
- Florida Rep. Carlos Curbelo brought Adrian Escarate.
- Illinois Rep. Bill Foster brought Ana Campa Castillo.
- Virginia Rep. Gerry Connolly brought Nicolle Uria.
- Oregon Rep. Earl Blumenauer boycotted the event, but sent Aldo Solano.
- Oregon Rep. Jeff Merkley brought Leonardo Reyes.
- Oregon Rep. Suzanne Bonamici brought Miriam Vargas Corona.
- Oregon Rep. Kurt Schrader brought Juan Carlos Navarro.
- New York Rep. Nita Lowey brought Hugo Alexander Acosta Mazariego.
- Kentucky Rep. John Yarmuth brought Leo Salinas Chacon.
- California Rep. Judy Chu brought Jung Bin Cho.
Foster received $5000 in lobbying funds from Planned Parenthood in 2008.
21st Century Democrats support
21st Century Democrats is a Political Action Committee that has stood for Progressive causes for over 20 years. Founded in 1986 by Institute for Policy Studies affiliate, Iowa Senator Tom Harkin, Democratic Socialists of America affiliates, former Texas Agriculture Secretary Jim Hightower, and former Illinois Congressman Lane Evans. Its three main goals are to help elect progressive candidates, train young people about grassroots organizing, and lastly, to continue to support our elected officials after Election Day "through our comprehensive progressive network".
The mission of 21st Century Democrats is to build a "farm team" of progressive populists who will be the future leaders of the Democratic Party.
- In each election cycle, we endorse a diverse array of candidates who exemplify our values and show unusual promise to advance our progressive goals. We invest in some of the most competitive races as well as in some of the most challenging – those in which the candidates are outstanding but the traditional Democratic supporters are most reticent. We back candidates in primaries as well as general election races, and we focus the bulk of our resources on electing challengers and protecting vulnerable incumbents.
Supported by Council for a Livable World
The Council for a Livable World, founded in 1962 by long-time socialist activist and alleged Soviet agent, Leo Szilard, is a non-profit advocacy organization that seeks to "reduce the danger of nuclear weapons and increase national security", primarily through supporting progressive, congressional candidates who support their policies. The Council supported Bill Foster in his successful 2008 House of Representatives run as candidate for Illinois. He has also been previously supported by the Council.
The Council supported Foster in his 2010 Congressional election campaign.
Bill Foster was supported by Council for a Livable World again in 2016.
- Rep. Foster earned his Ph.D. in physics from Harvard University, after which he pursued a 22-year career in high-energy particle physics at the Fermilab National Laboratory. He demonstrated his interest and knowledge of nuclear weapons issues by serving on the Board of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.
- Foster was first elected to Congress in 2008, but was defeated in the 2010 Republican landslide, and then re-elected in 2012 and 2014. In the House, he serves on the Committee on Financial Services.
- Foster has become a leader on Council for a Livable issues. He studied the Iran nuclear agreement carefully and eventually issued a detailed endorsement, standing with Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz and physicist Richard Garwin in backing the deal. He organized a letter signed by about 60 Members of Congress in support of full funding for the International Atomic Energy Commission (IAEA). Foster plans to work to secure funding for the IAEA and for counter-nuclear terrorism and non-proliferation programs in 2016.
JStreet endorsed him again in 2016.
- Throughout his time in Congress, Foster has been a passionate advocate of pro-Israel, pro-peace initiatives on Capitol Hill. Prior to serving in House, Foster was a well respected research physicist and a successful businessman. Foster believes in the strong alliance between the US and Israel and understands that a two-state solution is in the best interest of all parties. JStreetPAC was proud to endorse Foster in his 2010 re-election bid, his successful 2012 campaign in the new 11th District, and his successful 2014 campaign.
ARA endorsement, 2014
New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- Bill Foster
Guest at Congress
A 17-year-old Naperville girl is on the guest list for President Donald Trump's first joint session address to CongressSamia Abdul-Qadir was invited by U.S. Rep. Bill Foster, D-Naperville, after the Naperville North High School junior participated in Foster's recent community discussion at the Islamic Center of Naperville on the local effects of the president's attempts to ban travel from several Muslim-majority countries.
Abdul-Qadir told the 150 people in attendance about how a fencing teammate once told her she "looked like a terrorist" because she was wearing a hijab. "It pierced my heart," she said.
Abdul-Qadir, will attend as Foster's guest. Each member of Congress is allowed to invite someone to the president's annual address, which is called the State of the Union after the president completes his first year in office.
"I've always been taught that America's strength comes from the spirit of inclusion and diversity," Abdul-Qadir said in a statement from Foster's office. "I don't think it makes America any safer to single out a group of people because of their religious beliefs. It goes against this country's core values."
Foster said America thrives on the innovation, culture and diversity that immigrants bring, and no one should have to live in fear that these opportunities will be taken from them.
"History has not looked kindly on us when we've prevented people fleeing violence from seeking refuge in this country," he said in a statement. "Samia's courage and conviction have stood out as a bright spot amidst an atmosphere of fear and hate."ref></ref>
- National Journal "The New Faces of the 113th Congress," November 15, 2012
- [http://people.com/politics/democrats-dreamers-guests-trump-state-of-the-union-address/ These Democrats Are Bringing 'Dreamers' to President Trump's State of the Union Address, Accessed January 30 2018
- [https://www.harris.senate.gov/news/press-releases/senator-harris-to-bring-california-undocublack-daca-recipient-to-state-of-the-union Senator Harris to Bring California UndocuBlack DACA Recipient to State of the Union, Accessed January 30 2018
- 21st Century Democrats website, About us]
- 21st Century Democrats 2008 bio
- CLW website: Meet Our Candidates
- CLW website: Who We've Helped Elect
- CLW website. Meet the Candidates, accessed Dec. 31, 2010
- J Street The political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans
- JStreetPAC 2016 Endorsees
- NDC Member List