- 1 Open Letter to the Colombian People, Press and Government, Aug. 1996
- 2 Colombia Support Network
- 3 Latin America
- 4 Working with Gary Grass
- 5 Vigil tonight in Milwaukee for the victims in Iguala Guerrero
- 6 Milwaukee Anti-war Committee
- 7 Black Lives Matter event
- 8 "Vigil for public education"
- 9 One Year Anniversary of the Death of Dontre Hamilton
- 10 "Million Mom March"
- 11 ATU Local 998
- 12 Democratic Socialists of Milwaukee Closed Facebook Group
- 13 Workers World comrades
- 14 References
Open Letter to the Colombian People, Press and Government, Aug. 1996
- We, the undersigned, are North Americans and others who are deeply disturbed by the human rights situation in Colombia.
- Massacres, disappearances and torture happen continually in the anguished region of Uraba. We can not understand how paramilitary groups operate so freely in this militarized region where the Colombian army is present in massive numbers, and which does not perform its constitutional function of defending the civilian population. And we can not understand why the regional paramilitary leader is not apprehended and brought to justice for his crimes against humanity.
- We call upon all armed parties -- paramilitary units, guerrillas, army, police, urban militias and commandos -- to immediately cease all attacks upon both the civilian population and upon each other. Justice, peace and a fruitful life is never found through murder, torture, kidnapping and intimidation.
Colombia Support Network
In January 2011 Grunow went to spend a week in Honduras, standing as an international witness to prevent violence. She's been active in Latin America for decades, in the USA and on the ground there. Introduced to Latin America by her Franciscan uncle, Babette has a passion for "justice & freedom for our neighbors".
Working with Gary Grass
Gary Grass and Babette Grunow, both of Milwaukee, are former presidents of the Latin America Solidarity Committee at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Grass is an attorney who has monitored Central American elections, and Grunow is an activist who travels frequently to the region. Together they wrote "President Barack Obama must more forcefully oppose the Honduras coup" for Peace, No War, July 16, 2009. Close
Vigil tonight in Milwaukee for the victims in Iguala Guerrero
Candlelight vigil tonight in Milwaukee for the victims in Iguala Guerrero, Mexico. — with Jessica Wichmann, Tony Jennaro, Oscar Leon, Lisa Yang, Christian Villanueva, Valeria Gonzalez, Babette Grunow, Carmen Quinlivan, Kimberleah Bledsoe and Sean Orr at Walker Square Park.
Milwaukee Anti-war Committee
Milwaukee Anti-war Committee March 5, 2014 ·
Thursday March 13th: Film screening - "Roadmap to Apartheid" - 630pm - UWM Union room 240 - In this award-winning documentary, the first-time directors take a detailed look at the apartheid analogy commonly used to describe the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Narrated by Alice Walker (author of The Color Purple), "Roadmap" is as much a historical document of the rise and fall ... See More — with Tai Cassandra, Andy Urban, Babette Grunow, Tracey Schwerdtfeger, Daniel Ginsberg-Jaeckle, Joyce F. Guinn, Reema Hamdan, Affnan Mohammad, Sean Orr, Jacob Anikulapo and Petor Adamczak.
Black Lives Matter event
Gilbert Johnson January 24, 2015:
With Maureen W. Keyes, Gwendolynne Moore, Pat A. Robinson, Brandi Grayson, Solana Patterson-Ramos, Maria A. Hamilton, Brian Woods, James Edward Cunningham, Bryan Pfeifer, Milele A. Coggs, Anthony Rainey, Emily Sunshine, Lena C. Taylor, Brian Verdin, Jonathan Brostoff, David DB Bowen, Mandela Barnes, Mike Maass, Alan Eisenberg, Jennifer Epps-Addison, Gary Goyke, Ron Taylor, Nate Hamilton, Emilio De Torre, Jayme Montgomery, Rob Biko Baker, Sowande Omokunde, Robert Smith, Jeremy Anapto Triblett, Khalil Coleman, Gary Cooper-Sperber, Mike Erdmann, Berthina Joseph, Babette Grunow, David Muhammad, Gail Williams, Joan Prince, Angela Lang, Gary Mitchell, Eric D. Graff, Martin Weddle and American Federation of State, County, Municipal Employees Local 82.
"Vigil for public education"
Overpass Light Brigade April 29, 2015:
We were asked to join this vigil for public education tonight organized by students at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee. The students are upset over Gov Walker's massive $300 million dollar budget cut to the University of Wisconsin public university system as well as a $127 million dollar cut to K-12 public education in the state. Fund our future!
- wibudget #FundOurFuture — with Hannah Lee Noll, Babette Grunow, Joe Brusky, Rachel Meyer, Andrew Martin, Kim Schroeder, Brittany Smith, Tania M. Espinoza Bonilla, Erin Shannon, MacKenna Krupa, Lisa Moline, Meg Plant, Ty Bender, Lori Gonzalez-Gall, Denny Rauen and Lane Hall at University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.
One Year Anniversary of the Death of Dontre Hamilton
Joe Brusky May 1, 2015:
Dontre: One Year Anniversary of the Death of Dontre Hamilton candlelight vigil at Red Arrow Park.
"Million Mom March"
- DontreHamilton — with C.M. DeSpears, Brian Verdin, Erik Ljung, Steve Jerbi, Babette Grunow, Nate Hamilton, Dameion Perkins, Maria A. Hamilton, Melissa Verdin, Jenna Knapp, Megan Graves, Lane Hall and Joe Brusky.
ATU Local 998
ATU Local 998 November 3, 2015:
Democratic Socialists of Milwaukee Closed Facebook Group
Workers World comrades
Bryan Pfeifer July 8, 2016:
- Open Letter to the Colombian People, Press and Government: Stop the Bloodshed in Uraba, Due Process for Jose Antonio Lopez, Nelson Campo and others, and an End to Faceless Justice and Political Repression, August 1996
- WW Nov. 11, 1999, Many communities join to condemn U.S. racism and aggression, By Bryan G. Pfeifer Milwaukee
- Spirit Radio bio. Accessed March 21, 2011
- Right takes aim at county government by: Babette Grunow & Gary Grass March 29 2002
- President Barack Obama must more forcefully oppose the Honduras coup" for Peace, No War, July 16, 2009