"The Van Jones Effect: Right Wing Frenzy, Inside/Out Strategies and Red Scare"
"The Van Jones Effect: Right Wing Frenzy, Inside/Out Strategies and Red Scare" Wednesday, 16 September 2009, 19:30 The Brecht Forum.
- The anti-communist screed launched by Glenn Beck forced forced Van Jones to resign as advisor to President Obama. While Beck’s media maelstrom is reminiscent of the 1950s “Red Scare,” it also reveals the deep fissures in American society. The country is facing off in terms of race and class, with Obama playing the Janus head to both the progressive forces that put him in office and a reinvigorated right.
- In the background is the very real possibly (and dare say, hope) of a rising radical force that can push Obama to the left and reshape domestic and foreign policy.
- Tonight’s activist panel looks at the ways in which the Van Jones effect opens up crucial questions to radical left forces How do radical left forces interact and relate to this administration? How do we push on critical issues like health care? How did the right wing capture momentum? How does the left get its groove back?
Left Forum 2009
Political Economy of the Globalized Food System:
- Nancy Romer, (Chair) - Psychology, Brooklyn College, Brooklyn Food Conference
- Max Fraad Wolff, International Relations, New School University
- Arun Gupta, "The Indypendent"
- Jason Borenstein
Campaign for Peace and Democracy
Portland DSA Facebook group
Members of Portland Democratic Socialists of America public Facebook page, as of September 24 2017 included Arun Gupta.