- 1 Education
- 2 Background
- 3 EVERYTHING IS ON THE LINE
- 4 "Bigger the Bigger "We"
- 5 “Unbossed and Unapologetic Visionary”
- 6 WE GOT US
- 7 State Power Caucus
- 8 Gillum connection
- 9 She the People 2018 Summit
- 10 "We fight for racial and economic justice"
- 11 Backing Gillum
- 12 Ear to the Ground Project
- 13 DataCenter
- 14 National Leading From the Inside Out Alum
- 15 Sandra Moran tour
- 16 Miami Workers Center supporters
- 17 1ra Asamblea De Trabajadoras Del Hogar
- 18 Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
- 19 Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
- 20 "Hate crimes"
- 21 "Beyond Resistance: Reclaiming our Progressive Future"
- 22 Beyond Bernie
- 23 References
Andrea Cristina Mercado... was Campaign Director for National Domestic Workers Alliance.
Married to Darran Hamm.
- Studied at Brown University
- Went to Malverne Senior High School
- Executive Director at The New Florida Majority
- Worked at National Domestic Workers Alliance
- Worked at Mujeres Unidas y Activas
Andrea Mercado is the daughter of South American immigrants, the mother of two young girls, and the Campaign Director at the National Domestic Workers Alliance. Andrea was an organizer at Mujeres Unidas y Activas (MUA), a grassroots Latina immigrant women’s organization in the San Francisco Bay Area, for eight years. At MUA she led the California Domestic Worker Coalition, which successfully passed a statewide Domestic Worker Bill of Rights into law and co-founded the National Domestic Workers Alliance.
Andrea has appeared in the New York Times, Breitbart, Washington Post and on CNN en Espanol, Univision, MSNBC All in with Chris Hayes, and several international television news programs. She has served on the boards of the Bay Area Immigrant Rights Coalition, DataCenter: Research for Justice, and Hand in Hand: the Domestic Employers Association. Andrea holds a B.A. from Brown University. She speaks English, Spanish and Portuguese and is based in South Florida.
EVERYTHING IS ON THE LINE
Liberation Road October 1 2020;
EVERYTHING IS ON THE LINE: hear from our grassroots partners in Arizona, Florida and Pennsylvania about what's happening on the ground and what it's going to take for us to defeat Trump and build our movements during the final 30 days.
Jordan King Pennsylvania Stands Up, Andrea Mercado The New Florida Majority, Claire, Shaw San Liu, Beatriz Herrera, Abril Gallardo Cervera, Ricardo Zamudio Guillen LUCHA , Jill Shenker, Izzy Lyew, Idania Ramirez, Tharron.
"Bigger the Bigger "We"
Liberation Road plans to go live. August 12 2020.
The sprint to November 2020 is underway. The question that remains for left organizers is, who will we bring in to our growing coalition organized around racial justice and radical economic democracy? The overlapping political and economic crises of our time have opened the door to growing far beyond our normal base of support. How will we take advantage of this opening to build power not only in 2020 but well beyond the general election? What groups of people and organizations will included in this new bloc?
In this episode of OrgUp's This Is Not A Drill, hosts Adam Gold and Rishi Awatramani talk with Andrea Mercado, Jessica Byrd, Tomas Garduno, and Elianne Farhat about the new social bloc (aka 'the Bigger We') needed to win left political power.
“Unbossed and Unapologetic Visionary”
Jordan Waide October 18, 2019 ·
@newflmajority was presented with the “Unbossed and Unapologetic Visionary” Award by Mayor @AndrewGillum for our groundbreaking work in #Florida #BMC19 #Repost #FBF #FlashbackFriday — with Carlos Naranjo and Kelli Ann, Daniel Garcia, Monalisa Weber, Serena Perez, Tray Rock, Valencia Gunder, Nancy Metayer, Asa Roberts Shaw, Bertisha Jones, Gina Romero, Dwight Bullard, Andrea Mercado, Victricia Simmons at The New Florida Majority.
WE GOT US
She the People WE GOT US: MARCH 16, 2020
A VIDEO CONFERENCE ON POWER, DEMOCRACY AND OUR COMMUNITIES IN THIS MOMENT OF CRISIS.
- Montserrat Arredondo - Executive Director, One Arizona
- Tamieka Atkins - Executive Director, ProGeorgia
- Stephanie Cho - Founder, Asian American Advocacy Fund
- Andrea Mercado - Executive Director, The New Florida Majority
- Nse Ufot - Executive Director, New Georgia Project
- Aimee Allison - Founder/President, She the People
State Power Caucus
Jordan Waide November 7, 2019 · We are excited to have @AndrewGillum in the house!!!
Thank you for meeting with our staff and voter registration team. This month NewFM is celebrating that we have registered 20k new voters in #Florida.
She the People 2018 Summit
She the People's three-year initiative kicked off with its inaugural She the People Summit on September 20, 2018 at the Julia Morgan Ballroom in San Francisco. The sold-out, first-ever national summit of women of color in politics drew nearly 600 attendees, mostly women of color, from 36 states.
Speakers included Andrea Mercado.
"We fight for racial and economic justice"
Tomas Kennedy January 24, 2018:
Kind of like The Avengers, except instead of crappy action movies we fight for racial and economic justice. #SWAG — with Tim Heberlein, Asa R. Rogers-Shaw, Stephanie Ighodaro, Yulissa Arce, Devin Coleman, Desmond Meade, Stephanie Porta, Andrea Mercado, Isabel Vinent Grimany and Phillip Agnew.
New Florida Vision PAC, August 23, 2018:
This election is our's to win. We just have to get out to vote and bring our friends with us!
Tag three friends to recruit them to vote #GillumforGovernor and be part of making history in Florida.
He's the people's choice who will raise the minimum wage, promote health-care-for-all, protect the environment, and call to impeach Donald Trump.
- BringItHome — with Andrea Mercado, Renee Mowatt, Ebony P. Donnley, Natalia Jaramillo, Andrew Gillum, Jamilyn Salonga Bailey, Jeronimo Saldana, Kelly Marie Fay Rodríguez, Elbert Garcia, Rosa Lozano and Cindy Wiesner.
Natalia Jaramillo added Maria Asuncion Bilbao, Kathy Bird Carvajal, Tomas Kennedy, Ivan Parra Zapata, Elizabeth Fernandez, Melissa Taveras, Francesca Menes, Jasmen M. Rogers-Shaw, Marcia Olivo, Eunic Ortiz, Roxey Nelson, Coyuca Jones
Ear to the Ground Project
- We would like to express our deep respect and appreciation for everyone who took the time to talk with us, and the organizations that generously hosted us during our travels. Interviews were confidential, but the following people have agreed to have their names listed for this publication:
Most of those listed were connected to Freedom Road Socialist Organization.
Andrea Cristina Mercado was among those on the list. 
In 2007 Andrea Mercado and Darran Hamm were listed on the DataCenter's annual report as donors to the organization. The Oakland, California based DataCenter is widely regarded as the intellegence wing of the United States Left and has close ties to Cuba.
National Leading From the Inside Out Alum
Sandra Moran tour
Shaun Grogan-Brown June 5, 2014 ·
"We Feminists Say: This is my body, this is my land, this is my territory. And we defend our territory." - Sandra Moran, World March of Women leader on Grassroots Global Justice Alliance national tour June 18-July 3: Reclaming Feminisms at the Grassroots! #ReclaimFeminisms http://ggjalliance.org/ReclaimingFeminisms2014 — with Marjorie Childress, Monica Cordova, Lindsay Marisol Archuleta, Andrea Mercado, Maria Huerta de Reyes, Sandra Moran, Tammy Bang Luu, Andrea Plaza, Jaron Browne, Jessica O. Guerrero, Helena Wong, Claudia Reyes, Marcia Olivo, Maria Poblet, Monserrat A. Matehuala, Mei-ying Williams, Cindy Wiesner, FuerzaUnida Mujeres, Steve Williams, Rukiya Dillahunt and Denise Perry.
Miami Workers Center supporters
Miami Workers Center - Tomorrow is #GiveMiamiDay! Now more than ever we need your contribution so we can keep working in 2017 to demand local policies that protect Miami's women, girls and femmes.
We need you! Starting tonight at midnight, please consider giving to the Miami Workers Center here: — with Nilu Choudhury, Tomas Kennedy, Cindy Wiesner, Julia Dawson, Serena Perez, Luisana Perez-Fernandez, Karla De Anda, Julia Daniel, Kathy Bird Carvajal, Gihan Perera, Hashim Benford, Marcia Olivo, Sarai Portillo, Camilo Mejia, Maria Rodriguez, Andrea Mercado, Daniela Saczek, Carla Hansack, Maria Asuncion Bilbao, Commissioner Daniella Levine Cava, Trenise Bryant, Natalia Jaramillo, Viviana Ivalo, Miami Girls Foundation and Move to End Violence.
1ra Asamblea De Trabajadoras Del Hogar
- If you clean houses or do you babysit in South Florida, it's time to learn about your rights! Sign up for free at the 1ra Asamblea De Trabajadoras Del Hogar-1st Domestic Workers Assembly in Miami next Saturday 23th of July
T. Claudia Gonzalez, Ale Sau, Natalia Jaramillo, Patricia Sosa, GuadaLupita De La Cruz, Rosana Araujo, Paula Munoz, Amrry Gonzalez, Adrian Madriz, Maria Rodriguez, Isabel Vinent Grimany, Paola Calvo Florido, Tomas Kennedy, Ada Bermejo, Andrea Mercado, Agua Panela, Serena Perez, Francisco Pitico Portillo, Viviana Ivalo, Gabriel Garcia-Vera, Claudia de Anda, Cynthia Selene Hernandez, Rita Mendez, Ivan Parra, Dian Y. Alarcon, Candy Ironworker, Jacqui Carmona, Jeanette Smith, Yaquelin Mela Lopez, Lis-Marie Gueguense, Marcia Olivo, Mauro Kennedy, Laura J. Lopez-Coache, Bertha Sanles Wilson, Daniella Levine Cava, Julio Calderon, Elbert Garcia, Helene Villalonga, Karla De Anda, Jonathan Fried, Levis Torres, Kathy Bird Carvajal, John De Leon, Luisana Perez-Fernandez, Armando Carrada, Sarai Portillo, Saul Aleman, Maria Asuncion Bilbao and Latina Comunica.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those invited, on Facebook included Andrea Mercado.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included Andrea Mercado.
Miami Workers Center December 13 2016 circulated a meme clalling for people to report "hate crimes"
- Please share! If you or someone you know has been the victim of a hate crime, threats or discrimination during or after the elections, please report it! Fill this survey is anonymous and confidential: http://bit.ly/MiedoenMiami
With Rosana Araujo, Dian Y. Alarcon, Maria Asuncion Bilbao, Ada Bermejo, Karla De Anda, Felix Espinal, Claudia Saucedo, Jonathan Fried, Carla Hansack, Natalia Jaramillo, Viviana Ivalo, Gabriel Garcia-Vera, Bertha Sanles Wilson, Mayte Canino, Bianka Nora, Ruth Chalono, Cynthia Selene Hernandez, Aidil Oscariz, Andrea Mercado, Cindy Wiesner, Kathy Bird Carvajal, Jersey Garcia, Maria Angelica Ramirez Barrera, Camilo Mejia, Charo Valero, Jacqui Carmona, Alana Greer, Elbert Garcia, United Families and Latina Comunica.
"Beyond Resistance: Reclaiming our Progressive Future"
Beyond Resistance: Reclaiming our Progressive Future was a November 15, 2017 gathering of the Democracy Alliance. How to Make Climate Progress In the Age of Denial
Climate change is not a problem for the future-it is here now. taking lives and devastating communities, as evidenced by this year's series of extreme weather disasters. Even with the facts of climate science on our side. the climate movement has struggled to break the vice grip of industry and entrenched interests blocking climate progress. but more frequent climate·driven disasters have raised the stakes and urgency of climate change to a broader public. With action on climate obstructed at the national level. building a powerful and diverse grassroots climate movement and bold political leadership at the state and local level are more important than ever, and there are clear signs of progress.
Democracy Alliance Senior Strategy & Planning Officer and Climate and Clean Energy Equity Fund Director Roger Kim will lead a discussion with Florida State Senator Annette Taddeo (FL-5040), Washington State Labor Council President Jeff Johnson, New Florida Majority Executive Director Andrea Mercado, and University of California, Santa Barbara Professor Hahrle Han on groundbreaking strategies to strengthen the movement by addressing social and racial justice, new opportunities to build political power and leadership, and innovative climate and clean energy campaigns that improve people's everyday lives.
Beyond Bernie: Electoral Strategy for an Independent Left
April 2019 Organizing Upgrade pulled together leaders and activists from many of the most important movements of the left electoral upsurge to discuss both short- and long-term electoral strategy. The recent resurgence of electoral engagement amongst the social movement and party left in the US is inspiring and full of potential, but still lacks a shared strategy across the groups leading the charge. Moving past the mainstream media focus on the presidential horserace, we talk to organizers on the front lines about the current state of this movement sector, and critical interventions that independent left organizers can make to move this work forward.
The strategy session included*:
- Maurice Moe Mitchell, Working Families Party
- David Duhalde, Our Revolution
- Kayla Reed, M4BL
- Andrea Mercado, New Florida Majority
- Luke Elliott-Negri, DSA
- Ash-Lee Henderson, Highlander Center, M4BL, and Southern Movement Assembly
- Jon Liss, New Virginia Majority
- Beth Huang, Boston DSA
- NDWA bio
- Ear to the Ground, About, accessed Nov. 12, 2015
- DataCenter 2007 Annual Report
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109
- Organizing Upgrade, Beyond Bernie: Electoral Strategy for an Independent Left