All On The Line
- 1 Partnership with National Democratic Redistricting Committee
- 2 Team
- 3 Gerrymandering
- 4 "staff and volunteers on the ground in 10 target states"
- 5 "Teachers for Fair Maps and Veterans for Fair Maps"
- 6 "conservative-dominated Supreme Court"
- 7 "progress in state and national politics for the next decade"
- 8 "empowering grassroots activists during the 2021 redistricting process"
- 9 External Links
- 10 References
Obama for America is the predecessor to Organizing for America, which changed to Organizing for Action. Organizing for Action has changed their name to All On The Line (AOTL), described as "the grassroots movement to end gerrymandering and restore fairness to our elections and democracy ahead of 2021 redistricting."
Partnership with National Democratic Redistricting Committee
According to the National Democratic Redistricting Committee's (NDRC) Internal Revenue Service (IRS) filings, its mission is:
- "To build a comprehensive plan to favorably position Democrats for the redistricting process through 2022."
- Kelly Ward Burton President
- Jessica Post Director 1
- Eric Holder, Jr. Director
- Greg Speed Director
- Noam Lee Director
- Garrett Arwa Director of Campaigns
- Alixandra Lapp Vice President / Director
- Theron Johnson Georgia State Director
- Patrick Rodenbush Communications Director
- Hayley Dierker Treasurer
- Marina Jenkins Director of Litigation & Policy
- Raffi Freedman-Gurspan Deputy Director
- John Bisognano Executive Director
- Paola Rolon Machado Digital Content Strategist
- Nicole DeMont Deputy Director of Campaigns
- Katharine Roberts States Team Intern
- Erika Sanchez Digital Director
- Lekha Shupeck North Carolina State Director
All On The Line's partner, the National Democratic Redistricting Committee "is targeting 12 states during the 2019-2020 election cycle, including 3 gubernatorial races, 13 state legislative chambers, and one down-ballot race." According to the National Democratic Redistricting Committee's (NDRC) Internal Revenue Service (IRS) filings, its mission is"to build a comprehensive plan to favorably position Democrats for the redistricting process through 2022."
"staff and volunteers on the ground in 10 target states"
From mailing sent December 22 2019:
- "When All On The Line Campaign Director Saumya Narechania was looking at our 2020 plans, he knew we needed to get a jump start on fundraising now. We have staff and volunteers on the ground in 10 target states. We have plans to train thousands of volunteers across the country. And we have a rapid response protocol in place to hold map manipulators accountable.
"Teachers for Fair Maps and Veterans for Fair Maps"
From mailing sent December 20 2019:
- "President Obama reached out asking for your help to strengthen this movement. Now is your chance to join our Grassroots Advocacy Team and be a leader for fair maps in your community!
- "Our ability to make progress will always be rooted in our commitment to organizing. As we head into the new year and the next decade, I hope you'll do your part to help strengthen the foundation for this movement."
-- President Obama
- "We want to hear from you. Tell us which issues impact your life and what communities you want to help organize to fight for fair maps. We're building community organizing groups -- like Teachers for Fair Maps and Veterans for Fair Maps -- to help unite and strengthen this movement. Our team will connect you with action alerts and ways to get involved."
Forwarded message ---------
From: Barack Obama Date: Tue, Dec 17, 2019 Subject: All On The Line
- "As I look back at the past decade, I am proud of this grassroots movement for championing the issues that matter most. Any time progress was on the line -- securing health care for millions of Americans, combatting [sic] gun violence, confronting the threat of climate change, fighting for equality and justice -- you made your voices heard.
- "Right now, with redistricting around the corner, we stand at the horizon of a critical time in our democracy. And I'm asking you once again to be a champion for change.
- "Building the movement for fair maps is essential to protecting and expanding progress in the next decade. Will you donate to the All On The Line Community Organizing Fund?
- "Back in 2011, politicians and insiders crafted a plan to manipulate voting maps and dilute the power of voters through partisan and racial gerrymandering. Too often, this contributes to a real disconnect between voters and their elected officials. We see it in Ohio, where gun violence prevention bills are stalled. We see it in Florida, where folks have been denied access to health care without Medicaid expansion. And we've seen it in states like Georgia, where the right to choose is under siege.
- "In a democracy, power should rest with citizens, not with special interests. And in 2021, we have a chance to wrest that power back, correcting some of these unfair maps and creating districts that better reflect the will of the people. That's why All On The Line launched a plan to mobilize activists across the country to end gerrymandering. From training hundreds of volunteers through our Redistricting U gatherings to activating voters to contact their elected officials, the fight for fair maps -- and the grassroots organizing needed to win the fight -- has already begun.
- "Our ability to make progress will always be rooted in our commitment to organizing. As we head into the new year and the next decade, I hope you'll do your part to help strengthen the foundation for this movement.
"conservative-dominated Supreme Court"
From mailing sent December 19 2019 from Ben Deutsch, "Digital Advocacy and Fundraising Director":
- "In June, Brett Kavanaugh, and the John Roberts conservative-dominated Supreme Court, ruled that it and other federal courts cannot and should not limit partisan gerrymandering. It was a disappointing day for our movement and for our country. One former Ronald Reagan official (Charles Fried Professor of law at Harvard and solicitor general in the Reagan administration) called it "A Day of Sorrow for American Democracy."
- "But the day SCOTUS declined to stand up for fair elections was also a day that reinforced the importance of the work we're doing at All On The Line.
- "The ruling reminded us that ending gerrymandering never depended on one court decision. To truly end gerrymandering we need to do the hard work of organizing. We need grassroots volunteers holding their representatives accountable. We need engaged community members talking to each other about how to reform the process. And we need supportive donors making sure their neighbors have the resources they need in this fight. Can you make a donation to help us end map manipulation in the face of the summer's disappointing SCOTUS ruling?
- "As President Obama said, "All On The Line's work at the state and local level has never been more important."
- "But here's what that means for my job: our online fundraising is pivotal to our success. I feel immense pressure to ensure our supporters deliver resources to fund the state and local solutions developed by our State Directors.
- "We can build a grassroots-funded campaign that can overcome the obstacles created by the Supreme Court. But it will take all of us -- can you chip in to support our movement today?
"progress in state and national politics for the next decade"
From mailing sent December 19 2019 from Katy Shanahan "AOTL Ohio State Director":
- As the Ohio AOTL State Director, I believe deeply in the democratic process and the power of our vote. But in the last 10 years, I've watched voters' influence over our elected officials lessen because of the rigged maps they drew in 2011.
- President Obama understands this. He said that our grassroots efforts are crucial to ending gerrymandering and securing a path for progress in the next decade. That's why I -- and the other AOTL State Directors -- are reaching out. We know you need to have the lay-of-the-land in key target states so that you also understand the importance and urgency when we share opportunities to get involved!
- Here are three ways you can join this fight right now:
- Make a one-time donation to our Grassroots Advocacy Fund to ensure AOTL has the resources it needs to organize a grassroots response in states where the fight to end gerrymandering has already begun.
- Become a Fair Map Defender by committing to a monthly donation to help sustain our organizing and advocacy efforts.
- Successfully building the All On The Line movement will mean a shift towards progress in state and national politics for the next decade. You are essential to that success.
- No matter what issue brought you to the political table -- fighting for access to affordable healthcare, working to prevent gun violence, addressing climate change, or reforming the criminal justice system -- it's all on the line during this redistricting process.
- President Obama believes that investing in this movement at the state level is our best chance at achieving fair maps. You can answer his call by supporting our State Plan Strategy Fund.
"empowering grassroots activists during the 2021 redistricting process"
From mailing sent December 19 2019 from Katy Shanahan "AOTL Ohio State Director":
- I'm going to be honest with you, Victoria. One reason we face so much political polarization in this country is that we let map manipulators go widely unchecked in 2011. That's why we launched All On The Line earlier this year -- to help empower people to make a difference in the next redistricting process.
- "We have a chance to draw maps in 2021 that actually reflect the political makeup of our communities. But we, as citizens, need to be engaged, much more than we were during the 2011 redistricting process."
- -- AG Eric Holder
- Our team is committed to empowering grassroots activists during the redistricting process -- through tools to drive phone calls to state legislators, on-the-ground trainings in our target states, and local strategy meetings to bring folks together to build power in our communities.