Abbott Simon Esq. of New York
American Youth Congress
The Communist Party USA (CPUSA) set you a youth front known as the American Youth Congress (AYC) that hid its Party domination from many innocent supporters and members until exposed in the early 1940's.
- Simmon Abbott was listed as the Legislative Director, AYC in an undated notice (Exhibit 2), AYC's National Council, as found on p. 536, Chapter 32 of "Investigation of Un-American Propaganda in the United States", Appendix IX, Communist Front Organizations with Special Reference to The National Citizens Political Action Committee (NCPAC), First Section, Second Section and Third Section, pages 261-1048, 1944, Special Committee on Un-American Activities (SPCUA), 78th Congress, 2nd Session.
This SPCUA report on the AYC described it and its early history as the following: "For a period of 7 years -- from 1934 to 1941 -- the American Youth Congress was one of the most influential front organizations ever set up by the Communists in this country. The Communist control of the organization was so adroitly handled (at various periods during its life) that a large number of unusually prominent persons wee drawn into the circle of its supporters. In the end, however, it was all but universally recognized that the Communists were in complete control. Joseph P. Lash, one-time executive secretary of the American Student Union (ASU), who was for years an influential figure in the American Youth Congress, admitted in sworn testimony before an executive session of the Special Committee on Un-American Activities that the Youth Congress was a Communist front organization (executive hearings of the Special Committee on Un-American Activities, p. 2812).", p. 525, this cited NCPAC Appendix IX volume.
Herbert Aptheker Testimonial Dinner
On April 28, 1966 Abbott Simon was a sponsor of the Herbert Aptheker Testimonial Dinner. The dinner was held on the occasion of Herbert Aptheker's 50th birthday, the publication of his 20th book, and the 2nd anniversary of the American Institute for Marxist Studies. It was held in the Sutton Ballroom, The New York Hilton, Avenue of the Americas, 53rd to 54th Street, New York City. Most speakers, organizers and sponsors were known members or supporters of the Communist Party USA..
The full list of those who honored CPUSA theoretician Herbert Aptheker is found in "Extent of Subversion in Campus Disorders: Testimony of Ernesto E. Blanco", Hearings, Senate Internal Security Subcommittee (SISS), Part 1, 91st Congress, 1st Session, June 19, 1969, pp. 70-73, Simon being listed on p. 73.
In 1981 Mark Loo, a Chinese-American member of the Communist Workers Party , his party comrade Rodney Johnson, and unionist David Boyd were charged with the attempted bombing of the National Shipbuilding Company in San Diego, California. The trio were represented by lawyer Leonard Weinglass.
A cocktail party in support of the NASSCO3, was held at Ramsey Clark's house in New York on July 10. Sponsors of the event included Haywood Burns, Abe Feinglass, Juan Gonzalez, William Kunstler, Stewart Kwoh, Manning Marable, Margaret Ratner, Abbott Simon, Frances Borden Hubbard, Flo Kennedy, and Ramsey Clark.
- Dinner Program for the Herbert Aptheker Dinner, April 28, 1966
- Curriculum Vitae of Leonard I. Weinglass
- Workers Vanguard, June 19, 1981, NASSCO3 Railroaded, San Diego Co Entrapment Threat to Labor
- Memo on NASSCO3 Support Work, from the general secretary Jerry Tung, written by Kurt, 7/81