- 1 Background
- 2 Activism
- 3 Socialist International
- 4 YDS National Organizer
- 5 Democratic Socialists of America
- 6 2013 DSA leadership
- 7 Beyond Shell Shock
- 8 Metro DC DSA Public Facbook group
- 9 References
David Duhalde is an activist with Boston Democratic Socialists of America. David Duhalde is the "Senior Electoral Manager" at Our Revolution. Former Deputy Director of Democratic Socialists of America.
Born and raised in New York City, David Duhalde was interested in politics and history since a young age. He was first exposed to pro-labor/ anti-capitalist activism through the experiences of his parents, both of whom were active in the labor movement and Chile Solidarity.
Primarily involved in anti-sweatshop work in high school, Duhalde organized city-wide demonstrations and delegations to rallies to D.C. and wrote articles for young people’s progressive magazines.
In 2002, he began studying at Bowdoin College in Maine, where he helped found a Young Democratic Socialists chapter. Active in both YDS and the College Democrats, he "helped build bridges within the left" in turning out the vote against President Bush in 2004. The YDS chapter also led successful "social justice" campaigns, such as getting Bowdoin to go sweat-free in its Bookstore apparel.
Duhalde participated in the AFL-CIO’s “Union Summer” at 18, worked in the political department of UNITE, campaigned against Bush with SEIU and America Coming Together, and interned at the Hong Kong based China Labour Bulletin. After graduating, David worked as an assistant director of New York door-to-door fundraising for the Democratic National Committee. In August, 2006 Duhalde became an organizer for Young Democratic Socialists.
US delegates to the Socialist International 13th Congress, Athens, Greece June 30th 2008 included Carol Browner, a delegation from Democratic Socialists of America; Frank Llewellyn, Corey Walker, George Roberts, David Duhalde and Alejandro Duhalde plus another DSA member Andrew Hammer attending with the International League of Religious Socialists, former New American Movement radical Jeremy Rifkin representing the Foundation on Economic Trends and Puerto Rican Independence Party, Ruben Berrios Martinez and Maria Jose Cisneros.
At the Meeting of the Council of the Socialist International, United Nations, New York, 21-22 June 2010, delegates included Puerto Rican Independence Party members Ruben Berrios Martinez and Fernando Martin Garcia and from Democratic Socialists of America, Frank Llewellyn, Joseph Schwartz, David Sasha Duhalde-Wine, George D. Roberts, Luis Alejandro Duhalde.
Participants included representatives of the Socialist Party of Albania, MPLA (Angola), Bulgarian Socialist Party, Socialist Party of Chile, Sandinista National Liberation Front (Nicaragua), Mongolian People’s Revolutionary Party, Democratic Left Alliance (Poland), African National Congress (South Africa), Movement for Socialism (Venezuela) Observer parties included Polisario (Western Sahara) Consultative parties present included Fatah (Palestine), All-Nation Social Democratic Party (Kazakhstan).
YDS National Organizer
Democratic Socialists of America
DSA Renegotiate NAFTA petition
In 2009 David Duhalde, Young Democratic Socialists, signed a petition calling on President Barack Obama to Renegotiate NAFTA. The petition was initiated and circulated by Democratic Socialists of America.
DSA Labor Committee
In February 2009 Boston Democratic Socialists of America sponsored a forum on the Employee Free Choice Act with DSA Vice-Chair Elaine Bernard, MA SEIU Political Director Harris Gruman and Steve Schnapp from United for a Fair Economy before about 40 people. Out of that meeting a DSA Labor Committee emerged, organized by David Duhalde with several non-members, working to build support for EFCA. The group has been joining with Jobs with Justice and tenant groups to publicize other issues related to the economic crisis.
DSA NPC member
Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Awards Reception
On June 30, 2009, Boston Democratic Socialists of America presented its annual Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Award to Professor, author, and health care reformer Rashi Fein, along with the winners of a union election at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton, accepted by Sonia Marshall, the key organizer of the campaign. Sheila Decter of the Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action presented the award to Rashi Fein. The event was held at the home of Marcia Peters and David Karaus. Mike Fadel of SEIU Local 1199 (formerly Boston DSA staff person) and the AFSCME-affiliated New England Organizing Project were benefactors of the event.
David Duhalde was a supporter of the event.
2013 DSA leadership
National Political Committee
- Jared Abbott, Philadelphia
- Theresa Alt, Ithaca
- David Duhalde, Boston
- Stuart Elliott, Wichita
- Amber A’Lee Frost, New York City
- Paul Garver, Boston
- David Green, Detroit
- Jose Gutierrez, Washington, D.C.
- Barbara Joye, Atlanta
- Simone Morgen, Columbus
- Maxine Phillips, New York City
- David Roddy, Sacramento
- Joseph Schwartz, Philadelphia
- Peg Strobel, Chicago
- Alex Deane and Matthew Porter, as co-chairs of the Young Democratic Socialists share a vote on the NPC. 
Beyond Shell Shock
Beyond Shell Shock: Labor after the Trump disaster was hosted by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday, February 26 at 8 PM - 9:30 PM.
- Join us in this webcast to take a hard look at the place we're in as a labor movement - and consider how we can make the labor movement be a leading force in the resistance to Trump and the fight for a better world.
- What's our strategy? What kinds of alliances do we need? Do we just play defense?
- In the face of National Right to Work, vicious attacks on workers of color in and out of the workplace, escalating divisions in the AFLCIO and the Democratic Party, and more we've got our work cut out for us. Let's figure out how to win.
Those invited included David Duhalde.
Metro DC DSA Public Facbook group
- David Duhalde, Deputy Director at Democratic Socialists of America
- Allen Firouz, University of South Florida
- Woody Woodruff, Works at Self Deployed
- Evan Williams Ottenfeld, Indiana University (Bloomington)
- Austin Kendall, Education assistant at Transportation Communications International Union
- Jose Gutierrez, Washington, District of Columbia
- Gareth Sparks, Works at Leadership Directories
- https://twitter.com/el_gringo_duhal David Duhalde Twitter Page, accessed January 8 2018
- http://www.dsausa.or /dl/Fall_2006.pdf
- TYR Feb. 2010
- http://www.dsausa.or /dl/Fall_2006.pdf
-  List of participants, SI website, accessed July 13, 2010
- Renegotiate NAFTA website: Signatories to the petition to President Barack Obama, April 16, 2008
- TYR, June 2009
-  DSA 2009 National Convention Evanston, Illinois November 13-15, 2009 report, DSA website, accessed June 11, 2010
- TYR, June 2009
- TYR, Sep. 2009
- DSA website, accessed November 18, 2013