Sherrod Videos and Timeline
Shirley Sherrod is a former United States Department of Agriculture official, who was fired by Tom Vilsack, the head of the Department of Agriculture, due to aired video excerpts provided by Andrew Breitbart, which purportedly showed Sherrod making racist remarks concerning a farmer who sought her help in financing for his farm in 1986. Sherrod was the Georgia State Director for the USDA.
Breitbart's Excerpted Videos
- You know, the first time I was faced with helping a white farmer save his farm, he took a long time talking but he was trying to show me he was superior to me. I know what he was doing. But he had come to me for help. What he didn't know, while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me, was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him. I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farmland. And here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So, I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough so that when he... I assumed the Department of Agriculture had sent him to me, either that, or the Georgia Department of Agriculture, and he needed to go back and report that I did try to help him. So I took him to a white lawyer that had attended some of the training that we had provided because Chapter 12 bankruptcy had just been enacted for the family farm. So I figured if I take him to one of them, that his own kind would take care of him.
- That's when it was revealed to me that it's about poor versus those who have, and not so much about white--it is about white and black, but it's not, you know, it opened my eyes because I took him to one of his own.
After the dust settled somewhat, it turned out that the posted video was an excerpt of broader comments Sherrod made that were quite different when taken into context. Breitbart did not edit any of the video excerpts he had in his possession (7 in total). He never had a copy of the entire speech. The complete video was finally released by the NAACP the evening of July 20, 2010, who had the full version in their possession from the beginning. It is unknown how Breitbart came into possession of the video excerpts.
A Question of Timing
- The significance of this find by blogger Michelle C. Austin — which I think is a REALLY BIG DEAL — has been overlooked.
- We learn from Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack’s July 21 briefing to the media that, on July 15 — the Thursday prior to the clip being played on Monday, July 19, by Andrew Breitbart at BigGovernment.com — his office at the Department of Agriculture already had in its possession a transcript of Sherrod’s March 27 NAACP speech.
More on Vilsack:
- But then Vilsack continues to tell the reporters that he talked with Sherrod about the fact that she had emailed the office with a copy of the transcript of her NAACP speech — more than a week ago. That would be approximately five days before the clip was shown at BigGovernment.com.
- Vilsack says he did not receive the email because it was “not addressed properly” to him. There was a problem with the email address, he says, so it never came to his attention.
- Next we get the surprising news that, in her conversation with Vilsack, Sherrod told him that she had received some indication of this clip being available. In an effort to respond to the possible release of the clip, she pre-emptively sent an email to Vilsack to give him a head’s up.
- Vilsack says he did not get the email as it was sent to the deputy secretary’s attention.
- Vilsack says, “We did not discover it until after the fact, until this all came up.”
RBO asks a number of very valid questions in their article here: The Sherrod Mess: Something Reeks at the Department of Agriculture
Sherrod definitely contends that the USDA knew about the video before Breitbart aired it. Why was this covered up and why was the mainstream media not more aggressive in reporting the facts? Or are a number of them complicit in the cover up? Obviously a cover up occurred for reasons unknown and the whole issue should have been reported on much more transparently than it was. Why was there such a swift reaction to getting rid of Sherrod when the video was known about already?
March 27, 2010 - Saturday
April 14, 2010 - Wednesday
- Andrew Breitbart comes into possession of seven selective clips of the Sherrod video speech at the NAACP Freedom Fund banquet. Breitbart does not have access to the entire video until it is released by the NAACP on July 20, 2010. It can be safely said, that as the smoke clears, that this appears to be a 'managed leak' in which Breitbart was the recipient of the excerpted videos.
April 15, 2010 - Thursday
- Tom Vilsack at the USDA is in receipt of the emailed transcript of the NAACP video from Sherrod. He contends he did not see it before Breitbart's airing of the excerpts because it went to the wrong email address at the USDA. But Sherrod definitely confirms that she personally had confirmation that the USDA had received the transcript.
July 19, 2010 - Monday
- 11:18 am EDT - Andrew Breitbart posts 7 video clips of Sherrod's speech on Big Government. Video Proof: The NAACP Awards Racism–2010
- 12:13 pm EDT - Gateway Pundit picks up the story. More Racism at NAACP: Radical Obama Official Admits That She Openly Discriminates Against Whites (Video) …Update: Racist Official Resigns
- 12:55 pm EDT - Hot Air and Ed Morrissey pick up the story. Breitbart hits NAACP with promised video of racism
- 1:40 pm EDT - Fox Nation picks up the story. This is the first instance of Fox covering the Sherrod matter. Obama Official Resigns After Discrimination Caught on Tape
- 4:01 pm EDT - Ace of Spades reports further on the story. A CBS Affiliate Picks Up Breitbart's Vid of Sherrod's Racist Attitude
- 4:28 pm EDT (approx.) - The Drudge Report picks up the story. Shock: Video Suggests Racism at NAACP Event...
- 4:50 pm EDT - Andrew Breitbart tweets on the subject to Media Matters for America - "Get some rest. Tomorrow's gonna be long day & first of many in a row."
- Some time before 5:00 pm EDT - Shirley Sherrod resigns her position.
According to Sherrod, she was called twice as she drove home by an official who had contacted her after prompting by the White House. The official was so insistent that she resign immediately that Sherrod pulled over to the side of the road to resign by email. The White House rejected any claims that they pressured Sherrod for a resignation with a statement that said: "The White House did not pressure her or USDA over the resignation. It was the Secretary’s decision, as he has said."
- 7:51 pm EDT - Big Government links to a Fox News article reporting that Sherrod has resigned and the USDA has repudiated her remarks. Racist Govt Official/NAACP Award Recipient Resigns after Big Government Exposé
- 8:21 pm EDT - Hot Air's Allah Pundit comments on the story. USDA official resigns over Breitbart tape of NAACP speech
- 8:50 pm EDT - Bill O'Reilly airs Breitbart's Sherrod video. The is the first instance of an actual Fox News broadcast to cover the Sherrod story.
- 9:04 pm EDT - Sean Hannity reports that Sherrod has resigned.
- 9:10 pm EDT - Talking Points Memo reports that NAACP's CEO Benjamin Jealous tweets "NAACP is appalled" by Sherrod's comments. Too Quick A Trigger?
- 9:33 pm EDT - Dana Loesch, National Tea Party organizer speaks on CNN/Larry King Live and mentions the story. Larry King - Interview with T. Boone Pickens; Is Tea Party Racist?
- 9:44 pm EDT - Sean Hannity's Great American Panel discusses Sherrod video.
- 9:49 pm EDT - Michelle Malkin and Doug Powers pick up the story. USDA Official Resigns After ‘White Farmer’ Video
July 20, 2010 - Tuesday
- 1:12 am EDT - NewsBusters picks up the story. Broadcast Networks Ignore Racist Comments At NAACP Meeting
- 4:09 am EDT - Big Government republishes NAACP statement denouncing Sherrod. NAACP Statement on Resignation of Shirley Sherrod
- 6:08 am EDT - Fox and Friends picks up the story.
- 6:53 am EDT - CNN interviews Sherrod who says comments were taken out of context and then claims administration fears "Fox and the Tea Party." AMERICAN MORNING
- 8:05 am EDT - Laura Ingraham picks up the story.
- 9:52 am EDT - Glenn Beck picks up the story. This is the first time he has mentioned the story.
- 11:06 am EDT - On CNN Newsroom, Sherrod claims she was told to resign because she would appear on Glenn Beck that night - Monday, July 19th, 2010. Beck never even mentioned the story that day. CNN NEWSROOM
- 11:20 am EDT - On CNN Newsroom, the farmer's wife who was allegedly discriminated against by Sherrod, calls Sherrod a "friend" who "helped us save our farm."
- 12:05 pm EDT - NewsBusters reports that Sherrod "blamed Fox News and the Tea Party" for her termination.
- 12:10 pm EDT - Rush Limbaugh picks up the story.
- 1:03 pm EDT - Talking Points Memo reports that the Douglas, Georgia company who filmed the video of Sherrod at the NAACP, refuses to release the whole video until permission is received from the NAACP. USDA Appointee Forced To Resign After Edited Speech Released By Breitbart (VIDEO)
- 1:36 pm EDT - Hot Air and Ed Morrissey report that the video Andrew Breitbart has is the entirety of the speech he had in his (Breitbart's) possession. Video: Sherrod says incident didn’t occur at USDA
- 2:08 pm EDT - Talking Points Memo reports that the NAACP is investigating the Sherrod video. NAACP Now 'Conducting Investigation' Into Sherrod Video
- 2:15 pm EDT (approx.) - RedState reports that "it seems like the right just got the scalp of a penitent lady."
- 3:01 pm EDT - The Media Research Center and Brent Bozell condemn Sherrod's racist remarks. Bozell Statement on Networks' Lack of Coverage of Racist Remarks from NAACP Speaker
- 3:58 pm EDT - Andrew Breitbart reasserts that he never had the full video on Talking Points Memo. Breitbart On Sherrod's NAACP Speech: 'I Did Not Edit This Thing'
- 4:00 pm EDT (approx.) - Jake Tapper tweets: "WH says it was 100% Secy Vilsack's call" to ask for Sherrod's resignation. ...for those asking, am working on a story on the official fired by the Dept. of Agriculture. WH says it was 100% Secy Vilsack's call.
- 4:01 pm EDT - Gateway Pundit posts another story. Vilsack Stands Behind His Decision to Fire Racist NAACP Speaker Shirley Sherrod …Update: White House Says They Did Not Pressure Sherrod
- 4:03 pm EDT - Big Government covers the point that Sherrod was told to quit because she was appearing on Glenn Beck. Shirley Sherrod: ‘They Made Me Quit Because I was Going to Be On Glenn Beck’
- 5:00 pm EDT - Glenn Beck covers the Sherrod story on his television show. He reiterates that context matters and defends Sherrod. Sherrod never appeared on Glenn Beck's show even though there were four requests from Fox for her to appear on their network.
- 5:13 pm EDT (approx.) - Fox Nation reports on Breitbart's article on the forced resignation of Sherrod. USDA Reconsidering Sherrod's Ouster Over Racial Comments
- 5:29 pm EDT - CNN's Situation Room reports that Sherrod's comments were taken out of context. THE SITUATION ROOM
- 6:10 pm EDT - NAACP releases statement on Sherrod investigation and claims it was "snookered by Fox News and Tea Party Activist Andrew Breitbart." NAACP Statement on the Resignation of Shirley Sherrod
- 6:41 pm EDT - Bret Baier reports on the Sherrod story.
- 7:01 pm EDT - Fox Business' America's Nightly Scoreboard reports on Andrew Breitbart and the Sherrod story.
- 7:45 pm EDT (approx.) - NAACP purportedly releases the full Sherrod video.
- Ace of Spades
- Anderson Cooper
- Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Big Government
- Bill O'Reilly
- Bret Baier
- Drudge Report
- Fox & Friends
- Fox Business' America's Nightly Scoreboard
- Fox Nation
- Fox News
- Gateway Pundit
- Glenn Beck
- Hot Air
- Jake Tapper
- Larry King
- Laura Ingraham
- Media Matters
- Media Research Center
- Michelle Malkin
- On the Record
- Rush Limbaugh
- Sean Hannity
- State of Georgia Government
- Sweetness & Light
- Talking Points Memo
- The Anchoress
- The Real Barack Obama
- The White House
- United States Department of Agriculture
- Shirley Sherrod To Obama: Come To Georgia, See How Regular Folks Live The Huffington Post, July 24, 2010
- Video Proof: The NAACP Awards Racism–2010 Big Government, July 19, 2010
- Breitbart On Sherrod's NAACP Speech: 'I Did Not Edit This Thing' TPM, July 20, 2010
- Sherrod gets biggest 'I'm sorry' — from Obama Yahoo! News, July 22, 2010
- The Sherrod Mess: Something Reeks at the Department of Agriculture (Update – New Video) RBO, July 24, 2010
- Video Shows USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer Fox News, July 20, 2010
- Timeline of Breitbart's Sherrod smear Media Matters, July 22, 2010
- Fired Ag employee says White House wanted her out USA Today, July 20, 2010
- US officials stumble on the firing of Shirley Sherrod BBC News, July 22, 2010
- Sherrod: White House worried about Glenn Beck CNN, July 20, 2010