Robert Creamer has been a political organizer and strategist for almost four decades. He and his firm, the Strategic Consulting Group, work with many of the country's most significant issue campaigns. He was one of the major architectsand organizers of the successful campaign to defeat the privatization of Social Security. He is a consultant to the campaigns to end the war in Iraq, pass universal health care, change America's budget priorities and enact comprehensive immigration reform.
His clients have included labor unions, public interest groups, and advocacy organizations like MoveOn.org, Americans United for Change and USAction. He has also worked on hundreds of electoral campaigns at the local, state and national levels.
Creamer began his organizing career in 1970 working with Chicago’s Citizen Action Program (CAP) which had been organized by Saul Alinsky’s Industrial Areas Foundation. CAP successfully campaigned to reduce the sulfur dioxide in Chicago’s air by almost two thirds.
In 1974 Creamer founded the Illinois Public Action Council – later known as Illinois Citizen Action – which became the state’s largest consumer advocacy organization and progressive political coalition. He directed the organization for 23 years. He has been a full time political consultant since 1997 when he co-founded the Strategic Consulting Group.
Creamer graduated from Duke University and did graduate work at the University of Chicago. Creamer is an author and regular contributor to the Huffington Post. His recent book is titled, Stand Up Straight: How Progressives Can Win.
Illinois Public Action
- Bob Creamer, IPA Director, then gave a solid class based analysis of current economic trends. Productivity is up 25% since 1974, yet family income for the bottom 40% is down, with no change for the bottom 80%. Social policy and the weakening of unions are major factors behind this redistribution to the wealthy. Market forces left on their own will increase inequality and drain us of hope and caring for our fellow citizens. Creamer was upbeat about the Democrats' chances, claiming that people were finally beginning to understand how bad the "Contract with America" is.
America's Future Now!
Midwest Academy awards
Pictured right, Elizabeth Warren mingles with Heather Booth, and Democratic Party strategist and long time DSA associate Bob Creamer, and in the background, well known Chicago Democratic Socialists of America member Roberta Lynch.
Long time Democratic Socialists of America member Julian Bond was given a “Lifetime Achievement Award”, while another one time DSAer Mike Lux, was given a Progressive Leadership Award, as was Damon Silvers.
- ↑ http://www.stratcongroup.com/publication/about.php
- ↑ Democracy Partners bio, accessed November 2011
- ↑ http://www.chicagodsa.org/ngarchive/ng44.html
- ↑ Our Future website: Take Back America 2010 Speakers (accessed on July 12, 2010)
- ↑ Midwest Academy Facebook, Academy Awards 2012! with special guest Elizabeth Warren, at Eatonville Restaurant