The Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee organized a DEMOCRACY '76 conference within the Democratic Party conference in Los Angeles in 1976.
- Are there concrete programs that progressives can work for in this election year which could begin to democratize our social and economic institutions? D.S~O.C. thinks that there are . . . and has initiated a nationwide series of conferences to discuss the DEMOCRACY '76 program.
- Already endorsed by political and union leaders - including George McGovern - DEMOCRACY '76 calls for a greater reliance on the public sector in creating genuine full employment - for a more progressive tax system - for increased social control of the corporate structures which increasingly control our lives - for democratic and public, rather than corporate, planning of our national future.
Co-Sponsors included (Partial List): Jack Blackburn; Director, Institute of Industrial Relations, UCLA; Calif. Public Policy Center; California Tax Reform Association; Center for New Corporate Priorities; Rev. Peter Christiansen; Ben Freedman, West Coast Advisory Bd., Actors Equity; Jim Gallagher, Coordinator, Labor Studies, UCLA; Dan Hirsch, Coordinator Campus Committee to Bridge the Gap; Nick Seidita and Jo Seidita; Shirley Wechsler, Nat'l V.P. and So. Calif. Exec. Director, ADA; Hy Weintraub, Pres., Community College Council, Calif. Federation of Teachers, AFT; Burt Wilson, Coordinator, CAUSE.
Media Democracy Legal Project
- Ben Bagdikian, Dean Emeritus, UC Berkeley School of Journalism
- Liane Casten, Chicago Media Watch
- Dan Fiske, National Coalition of Concerned Legal Professionals
- Dr. George Gerbner, Cultural Environment Movement
- Pam Kelly, Former Director, Unitarian Universalists for a Just Economic Community
- Paul Kurtz, Council of Secular Humanists
- Joan Levin, Chicago Attorney
- Mark Lloyd, Director, People for Better TV
- Dr. Robert McChesney, Univ. of Illinois
- Ward Morehouse, Program on Corporations, Law, and Democracy
- John Nichols, Political Editor, The Nation
- Jeff Perlstein, Executive, Media Alliance
- Professor Peter Phillips, Project Censored
- Jo Seidita & Nick Seidita, Alliance for Democracy
- Norman Solomon, FAIR
- Dr. Jerold Starr, Founder, Citizens for Independent Public Broadcasting