Michael E. Tigar is a prominent U.S. legal activist. He is a Professor of the Practice of Law at Duke University.
Communist youth conference
After the Conference of Socialist Youth in March 1964, it was decided to hold the next convention in Chicago, and there form a new national youth organization. The Coordinating Committee determined to switch the meeting place to San Francisco, however, and to hold it on June 19 through 21, 1964. The New organization was named the W.E.B. DuBois Clubs of America and would serve as the youth wing of the Communist Party USA.
In May 1980 Federal district judge Joyce Green ruledthat the Chilean government liable for $2.9 million in damages to the survivors of Institute for Policy Studies/Transnational Institute director Orlando Letelier and his aide, Ronnie Moffitt, and that an additional $2 million in damges is owed by Juan Manuel Contreras, former head of the old Chilean intelligen agency NINA.
National Lawyers Guild theoretician Michael E. Tigar, who handled the civil lawsuit, said that if collected, the money would be donated to the IPS Letelier-Moffitt Memorial Fund. NLG attorney Michael Maggio who handles the Letelier estate and also represents the Sandinista government of Nicaragua, said the importance of the damage award was the political implications of a court finding against a government that "commtted an act of political terrorism here in the United States.
Institute for Policy Studies
Michael Tigar was a memberof the Institute for Policy Studies 20th Anniversary Committee, which organized an April 5, 1983, reception at the National Building Museum, Washington DC attended by approximately 1,000 IPS staffers and former staff.
"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Michael Tigar of the Duke University School of Law signed the statement.
Monthly Review celebration
On September 17, 2009, U.S. socialist magazine Monthly Review celebrated its 60th anniversary at the New York Society for Ethical Culture in New York City. Five-hundred enthusiastic supporters gathered to hear remarks by Robert McChesney, Grace Lee Boggs, John Bellamy Foster, Fred Magdoff, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Michael Tigar and hear music by Toshi Reagon.
- Tigar's profile with Duke University
- University of California website: The New National Organization of Communist Youth
- Information Digest November 21 1980 p 404
- Information Digest April l5, 1983 p77-79
- Liberal Education website: Bill Ayers supporters