Communist youth conference
After the Conference of Socialist Youth in March 1964, it was decided to hold the next convention in Chicago, and there form a new national youth organization. The Coordinating Committee determined to switch the meeting place to San Francisco, however, and to hold it on June 19 through 21, 1964. The New organization was named the W.E.B. DuBois Clubs of America and would serve as the youth wing of the Communist Party USA.
World Peace Council
- Saundra Graham
- James Jackson - Communist Party USA member
- Maryann Mahaffey
- Michael Myerson - Communist Party USA member
- Mark Solomon
- Gus Newport - a World Peace Council Vice President
"A letter to Congress" on North Korea
In 1974, approximately 50 prominent, mainly Communist Party USA aligned leftists, signed a "Letter to Congress" on the situation regarding North Korea.
- "For a quarter of a century the people of all Korea have needed such a peace agreement. The American People are ready for it. The People of the world deserve it. Peaceful coexistence must replace war and the threat of war. Negotiations must replace confrontation."
- "Therefore, we the undersigned, concerned about the dangerous conditions in Korea earnestly appeal to you, and to all peace-minded Americans to join together in combining our reason and our political influence to secure the peaceful resolution of this problem."
The letter to Congress was in response to a March 25th, 1974 letter from the Supreme Peoples Assembly of the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea to the United States Congress.
The signatories which included Michael Myerson urged Congress to act on North Korea's Concerns.
We Will Make Peace Prevail!
On March 28, 1982 the New World Review organized a gala luncheon "We Will Make Peace Prevail! Disarmament Over Confrontation, Life Over Death", at the Grand Ballroom, Hotel Roosevelt, New York City. Virtually all participants were identified as Communist Party USA.
Michael Myerson was listed on the Committee of Sponsors.
US Peace Council
- Mark Shanahan, CNFMP
- Sarah Staggs, Chicago Peace Council
- Rep. Irving Stolberg, Connecticut
- David Cortright, SANE
- Rev. William Hogan, Clergy and Laity Concerned
- Terry Provance, AFSC
- Michael Myerson, executive director - a long-time functionary of the New York State Communist Party USA.
- Erica Foldy, CNFMP
- Frank Chapman, AFSC
- Archie Singham, The Nation, editorial board
- Betsy Sweet, WILPF
- Rep. Saundra Graham, Massachusetts
- Miriam Friedlander and Gilberto Gerena-Valentin, New York City Council members
- Edwin Vargas, Jr., vice president, Connecticut Federation of Teachers, Hartford, Connecticut
1980s U.S. Peace Council leader
Communist Party reformer
In 1991, Michael Myerson, New York, was one of several hundred Communist Party USA members to sign the a paper "An initiative to Unite and Renew the Party" - most signatories left the Party after the December 1991 conference to found Committees of Correspondence.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Michael Myerson, New York, endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Strategy 2 Where to from here? What next in the struggle for democracy in the United States?
- Ann Ginger, Director, Meiklejohn Library, Berkeley
- Atiba Mbiwan, youth service worker, Providence, RI
- Michael Myerson, writer, NY
- Mike Welch, admin. assistant, National Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression, NY
- Tom Edminster, exec. board, United Educators of San Francisco
CoC National Coordinating Committee
The following are listed in order of votes they received as members of the Committees of Correspondence National Coordinating Committee, elected at the Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.:
- Angela Davis, SF
- Gus Newport, Berkeley
- Elizabeth Martinez, SF
- Alva Buxenbaum, NY
- Leslie Cagan, NY
- Peter Camejo, Alameda, CA
- Giuliana Milanese, SF
- Robert Chacanaca, Freedom, CA
- Mildred Williamson, Chicago
- Barry Cohen, NY
- Mark Solomon, Boston
- Barbara Lee, Sacramento
- Maudelle Shirek, Berkeley
- Raahi Reddy, New Brunswick, NJ
- Margy Wilkinson, Berkeley
- Yvonne Golden, Florida
- Mary Idosidis, Mill Valley, CA
- Pat Fry, Detroit
- Marty Price, Oakland
- Fran Beal, Oakland
- Marshall Garcia, NY
- Betty Kano, Berkeley
- Michael Myerson, NY
- Sharon Stewart, LA
- Carmen Rumbaut, San Antonio
- Maurice Jackson, Washington, D.C.
- Geoffrey Jacques, NY
- Arthur Kinoy, Montclair, NJ
- Melinda Brown, LA
- Leslie Shaheen, NY
Committees of Correspondence NCC
Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
In the mid 1990s Michael Myerson servedon the Board of Directors of Oakland based Institute for Social and Economic Studies- sponsor of CrossRoads magazine, which sought to promote dialogue and building new alliances among progressives and leftists... and to bring diverse Marxist and socialist traditions to bear while exploring new strategies and directions for the progressive political movements.
Myerson was also a CrossRoads contributing editor.
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Michael Myerson of Cortlandt Manor, NY signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
- ↑ University of California website: The New National Organization of Communist Youth
- ↑ New Perspectives 1970 issue
- ↑ Letter to Congress undated 1974 Hugh DeLacy papers Accession Number 3915 Box Number 9 Folder Number 2
- ↑ We Will Make Peace Prevail! event brochure
- ↑ War Called Peace
- ↑ USPC conference brochure Yale University November 8-10, 1985
- ↑ Addendum to Initiative document
- ↑ CCDS Background
- ↑ Conference program
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- ↑ CoC National committee meeting, January 7-9, 1994, New York minutes
- ↑ Crossroads March 1996
- ↑ Open Letter to Obama on Iran
[[Category:U.S. Peace Council]