Solomon has been a long-time activist in peace and justice movements. He was among the founders of Citizens for Participation in Political Action (CPPAX) in Massachusetts. He held the post as national chairperson of the U.S. Peace Council, and a Presidential Committee member of the World Peace Council. Solomon is a former union printer, and a retired history professor. He has written extensively on U.S. Foreign Policy, peace issues, and anti-racism.
His latest book is "The Cry for Unity: Communists and African Americans, 1917-1936.
World Peace Council
- Saundra Graham
- James Jackson - Communist Party USA member
- Maryann Mahaffey
- Michael Myerson - Communist Party USA member
- Mark Solomon
- Gus Newport - a World Peace Council Vice President
- We publish in this booklet a list of members of the World Peace Council elected at the Council's Session in Warsaw in 1977.
U.S. members listed, included; Mark Solomon, Professor of Simons College, Massachusetts.
We Will Make Peace Prevail!
On March 28, 1982 the New World Review organized a gala luncheon "We Will Make Peace Prevail! Disarmament Over Confrontation, Life Over Death", at the Grand Ballroom, Hotel Roosevelt, New York City. Virtually all participants were identified as Communist Party USA.
Mark Solomon was listed on the Committee of Sponsors.
1980s U.S. Peace Council leaders
- Rep. Saundra Graham, Massachusetts State Legislature
- Gus Newport, Mayor of Berkeley, CA
- Mark Solomon, Professor, Simmons College, Boston, MA
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992, Mark Solomon, Boston, endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
CoC National Coordinating Committee
The following are listed in order of votes they received as members of the Committees of Correspondence National Coordinating Committee, elected at the Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19, 1992.:
- Angela Davis, SF
- Gus Newport, Berkeley
- Elizabeth Martinez, SF
- Alva Buxenbaum, NY
- Leslie Cagan, NY
- Peter Camejo, Alameda, CA
- Giuliana Milanese, SF
- Robert Chacanaca, Freedom, CA
- Mildred Williamson, Chicago
- Barry Cohen, NY
- Mark Solomon, Boston
- Barbara Lee, Sacramento
- Maudelle Shirek, Berkeley
- Raahi Reddy, New Brunswick, NJ
- Margy Wilkinson, Berkeley
- Yvonne Golden, Florida
- Mary Idosidis, Mill Valley, CA
- Pat Fry, Detroit
- Marty Price, Oakland
- Frances Beal, Oakland
- Marshall Garcia, NY
- Betty Kano, Berkeley
- Michael Myerson, NY
- Sharon Stewart, LA
- Carmen Rumbaut, San Antonio
- Maurice Jackson, Washington, D.C.
- Geoffrey Jacques, NY
- Arthur Kinoy, Montclair, NJ
- Melinda Brown, LA
- Leslie Shaheen, NY
Center for Political Education
In 1999, Mark Solomon, author of the The Cry Was Unity gave a talk entitled "The Cry Was Unity: Communists and African Americans 1930-1936" The talk was sponsored by the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism linked organization, the Center for Political Education.
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Mark Solomon of Newton, MA signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
Science & Society
- Renate Bridenthal
- John Ehrenberg
- Frank T. Fitzgerald
- Barbara Foley
- Martha Gimenez
- Justin Holt
- Julio Huato
- Gerald Horne
- Sharryn Kasmir
- David Laibman, Editor
- Derek Lovejoy
- Gerald Meyer
- Paul Mishler
- Leith Mullings
- Deborah Mutnick
- Bertell Ollman
- John P. Pittman
- Ellen W. Schrecker
- Alan Shandro
- Mark Solomon
- Lise Vogel
- Alan Wald
- ↑ http://www.cc-ds.org/leadership.html
- ↑ New Perspectives 1970 issue
- ↑ WORLD PEACE COUNCIL LIST OF MEMBERS 1977-1980, Information Centre of the World Peace Council Lönnrotinkatu 25 A 5 krs 00180 Helsinki 18 Finland
- ↑ We Will Make Peace Prevail! event brochure
- ↑ USPC conference brochure Yale University November 8-10, 1985
- ↑ CCDS Background
- ↑ Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- ↑ CoC National committee meeting, January 7-9, 1994, New York minutes
- ↑ Center for Political Education website: Past Classes (1998 - 2007)
- ↑ Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- ↑ http://www.scienceandsociety.com/history.html