Lu Battaglieri has been president of the 157,000-member Michigan Education Association since 1999. Prior to his election, he was president of MEA/NEA Local 1, which represents school employees in Wayne and Macomb counties. He also served as a member of the MEA and the NEA boards of directors and as regional director for the National Council of Urban Education Associations.
Battaglieri taught social studies, math, and computer classes as well as classes for at-risk students in the Fraser public schools from 1974 to 1992. During that time he served as his association’s building rep, grievance chairperson, vice president, and president. He was named WDIV Teacher of the Year in 1989.
Battaglieri holds an undergraduate and master’s degree from Michigan State University.
Democratic Party Super Delegates
In February 2008 Michigan Democratic Party Super Delegates were;[
Charles Brown Mon, 25 Feb 2008
- John D. Cherry, Lt. Governor
- Rep. John D. Dingell, U.S. Congressman, 15th District
- Joel Ferguson, at-large member of the DNC, businessman, member of MSU Board of Trustees
- Dale Kildee, U.S. Congressman, 5th District
- Sander Levin, U.S. Congressman, 12th District
- Mark Schauer, State Senator, 19th District
- Debbie Stabenow, U.S. Senator
- John Conyers, U.S. Congressman, 14th District
- Arthenia Abbott, Vice Chair, Michigan Democratic Party
- Lu Battaglieri, President of Michigan Education Association, union representing retired teachers and education employees
- Mark Brewer, Chair, Michigan Democratic Party, Vice Chair, Democratic National Committee
- Elizabeth Bunn, UAW Secretary-Treasurer
- Eric Coleman, County Commissioner of Oakland County, 23rd District
- Debbie Dingell, WSU Board of Governors, senior executive at General Motors
- Robert Ficano, Wayne County Executive
- Jennifer Granholm, Governor
- Kwame Kilpatrick, Mayor, City of Detroit
- Carolyn Kilpatrick, U.S. Congresswoman, 13th District
- Joyce Lalonde, Board of Directors, National Education Association
- Carl Levin, U.S. Senator
- Jeffrey Radjewski, business and finance manager of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW)
- Virgie Rollins, regional director, National Federation of Democratic Women, Chair, Democratic National Committee Black Caucus
- Richard Shoemaker, UAW Vice President
- Bart Stupak, U.S. Congressman, 1st District
- Michael Tardiff, DNC
- Richard N. Wiener, attorney and former Granholm staffer
- Lauren Wolfe, President of the College Democrats of America, she is attending law school in Detroit.