Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Electoral What should be the place of electoral activity on the left's agenda? What would be an effective strategy for this year, the 90s and beyond?
- Yolanda Alaniz, candidate for Seattle City Council
- Bill Collins, a founder of Citizens for Proportional Representation, Cincinnati, Ohio
- James Vann, national co-chair, National Committee for Independent Political Action, Oakland
- Victoria Missick, teacher & multi-cultural movement, NY
- Dr. Margie Akin, Peace and Freedom candidate, 40th CD, Riverside, CA
- Keith Carson, Legal Aide to Rep. Ron Dellums, Oakland
- Arthur Kinoy, National co-chair, NCIPA, Montclair, NJ
- Sam Perez, Puerto Rican political activist, NY
- Mark Allen, legislative aide, John George, Alameda County Supervisor
People's Weekly World Banquet 1996
Sponsors of the 1996 Bay area People's Weekly World banquet, at His Lordships, Berkeley Marina, included Oakland City Council members Ignacio de la Fuente, Sheila Jordan and John Russo, Berkeley City Council members Maudelle Shirek, Linda Maio and Dona Spring, San Francisco Supervisors Tom Ammiano and Sue Bierman, Alameda County Supervisor Keith Carson, and California State Assemblyman John L. Burton.
Honored were 5 labor leaders - Walter Johnson, Owen Marron, Shirley Ware of SEIU, Abba Ramos of the ILWU and Francisco Martin del Campo of the San Francisco labor Council for Latin American Advancement.
People's Weekly World Banquet 1997
Elected officials attending the the 1997 Bay area People's Weekly World banquet, at His Lordships, Berkeley Marina, included State Senator Barbara Lee Assemblywoman Liz Figueroa, Alemada County Board of Supervisors president Keith Carson and Berkeley vice mayor and City Council member Maudelle Shirek..
Honored were Brian McWilliams, Santa Cruz County Central Labor Council, Amy Dean, South Bay Labor Council, Wilson Riles, Jr. regional director AFSC and Art Rodriguez of the National Labor Community Coalition for Public Works Jobs.
Endorsed Communist Party fund raiser
Supporting Sandre Swanson
- Conference program
- Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- PWW, Sep. 21 1996 page 2
- PWW, Dec.6 1997 page 2
- Peoples Weekly World, September 11, 1999
- Sandre Swanson website, Endorsements, accessed July 28, 2011