Julia Brownley, entered Congress with the 2012 elections, as an (California Democrat, District 26).
Endorsing Torie Osborn
- Eric Garcetti, LA City Council President
- Stanley K. Sheinbaum
- Painters and Allied Trades District Council 36
- California Nurses Association
- Bill Gallegos, Executive Director, Communities for a Better Environment
- Julia Brownley, CA State Assemblywoman
- Sheila James Kuehl, Former CA State Senator
- Karen Bass, Congresswoman
- Antonio R. Villaraigosa, Los Angeles Mayor
- Tim Allison, Statewide Chair, Environmental Caucus, CA Democratic Party
- Bruce C. Corwin, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Metropolitan Theatres Corporation
- Donna Bojarsky
Fred Ross award campaign
In early 2013, mainly Democratic Socialists of America aligned activists, together with many elected officials across the United States came together to urge President Barack Obama to award posthumously the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the legendary organizer, Fred Ross, Sr.. The Saul Alinsky trained radical was the first to organize people through house meetings, a mentor to both Cesar Chavez and DSAer Dolores Huerta, and a pioneer in Latino voter outreach since 1949 when he helped elect Communist Party USA affiliate Ed Roybal as Los Angeles’s first Latino council member, "Ross’ influence on social change movements remains strong two decades after his death in 1992".
Congressional endorsers of the proposal included Julia Brownley.