Cuban art trip
Janice Misurell-Mitchell traveled to Cubafor six days in September 2007 with several colleagues as part of a conference on “Useful Art”, or art that includes aspects of social activism.
Sponsored by Cáthedra de Arte Conducta, an arts program hosted by the Instituto Superior de Arte in Havana, the project was conceived by Cuban visual artist and University of Chicago faculty member Tania Bruguera.
- our group, “Team Havana” thus included a scholar, two political activists and an artist.
- Our work was to present lectures and informal sessions, films and videos and performances.
- While Tom, Bernadine and Bill met with visual art students at the offices of the journal Criterio, I presented three sessions to music students at the Instituto Superior de Arte.
"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Janice Misurell-Mitchell of CRETIN signed the statement.
- ↑ Cube Circuits Winter 2008 page 1
- ↑ Liberal Education website: List of Ayers Supporters