- 1 Venceremos
- 2 Communist Party dissidents
- 3 Communist Party reformer
- 4 Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
- 5 CoC National Conference endorser
- 6 Committees of Correspondence
- 7 Sacramento Marxist School
- 8 Center for Political Education
- 9 Committees of Correspondence convention
- 10 References
Guiliana (Huli) Milanese is a San Francisco activist and the widow of Bill Sorro.
Bill Sorro and Giuliana Milanese met in Cuba in 1970. They were part of the second Venceremos Brigade, a U.S. group that took trips to Cuba to support the revolution and work side by side with Cubans. The two married in the I-Hotel in 1973.
Communist Party dissidents
On November 15-16 1991, 30 dissident members of the National Committee of the Communist Party USA convened a meeting to "sign a statement of events" - most or all signatories were soon to break with the party and were later to form Committees of Correspondence.
The signatories included Giuliana Milanese, Northern California;
Communist Party reformer
In 1991 Giuliana Milanese, Northern California, was one of several hundred Communist Party USA members to sign the a paper "An initiative to Unite and Renew the Party" - most signatories left the Party after the December 1991 conference to found Committees of Correspondence.
Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
In the mid 1990s Giuliana Milanese servedon the Board of Directors of Oakland based Institute for Social and Economic Studies- sponsor of CrossRoads magazine, which sought to promote dialogue and building new alliances among progressives and leftists... and to bring diverse Marxist and socialist traditions to bear while exploring new strategies and directions for the progressive political movements.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Giuliana Milanese, CoC, San Francisco endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
CoC National Coordinating Committee
The following are listed in order of votes they received as members of the Committees of Correspondence National Coordinating Committee, elected at the Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.:
- Angela Davis, SF
- Gus Newport, Berkeley
- Elizabeth Martinez, SF
- Alva Buxenbaum, NY
- Leslie Cagan, NY
- Peter Camejo, Alameda, CA
- Giuliana Milanese, SF
- Robert Chacanaca, Freedom, CA
- Mildred Williamson, Chicago
- Barry Cohen, NY
- Mark Solomon, Boston
- Barbara Lee, Sacramento
- Maudelle Shirek, Berkeley
- Raahi Reddy, New Brunswick, NJ
- Margy Wilkinson, Berkeley
- Yvonne Golden, Florida
- Mary Idosidis, Mill Valley, CA
- Pat Fry, Detroit
- Marty Price, Oakland
- Fran Beal, Oakland
- Marshall Garcia, NY
- Betty Kano, Berkeley
- Michael Myerson, NY
- Sharon Stewart, LA
- Carmen Rumbaut, San Antonio
- Maurice Jackson, Washington, D.C.
- Geoffrey Jacques, NY
- Arthur Kinoy, Montclair, NJ
- Melinda Brown, LA
- Leslie Shaheen, NY
Committees of Correspondence
Sacramento Marxist School
Center for Political Education
In 2003, a panel of speakers Guiliana Milanese, Susan Atwood, Malik Miah, Betita Martinez and Warren Mar spoke in a discussion entitled: "The Socialist Left of the 70’s and 80’s: What Worked, What Didn’t." This discussion was moderated by Steve Williams and Michelle Foy. The event was held at the San Francisco based Center for Political Education, an organization closely associated with the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism.
Committees of Correspondence convention
The event was chaired by CCDS Chicago leader Mildred Williamson and was sponsored by the Kendra Alexander Foundation, represented by Eric Quezada. Angela Davis, Hon. Claudia Morcom, Giuliana Milanese and Carl Bloice recalled in loving and glowing terms how Charlene had mentored them and encouraged them through various battles, personal and political.
- List of those NC members who signed statement of events at meeting of 11/15-16/91
- Addendum to Initiative document
- Crossroads March 1996
- CCDS Background
- Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)
- CoC Corresponder November 1996/January 1997 Page 2
- Center for Political Education website: Past Classes (1998 - 2007)