How Class Works
At the How Class Works - 2002 Conference, panels included;
- 1.5 Pedagogy of Class
- Gary Hicks, South Boston
“Globalization and Its Critics the First Time Around: Twain, Casement, Conrad, and Euro-American Imperialism, Late 19th – Early 20th Century”
- Sharon O’Dair, University of Alabama – English
“ Class Work: Site of Working-Class Activism or Site of Embourgeoisement?”
- Svitlana Taraban, York University, Toronto – Education
“Class Restructuring in Contemporary Ukraine and Its Effect on Education”
Communist Party member
In 2010, Gary Hicks contributed article is part of the discussion leading up to the Communist Party USA's 29th National Convention May 21-23, 2010, "Zionism is a form of racism, and racism has no place in our Communist Party!".
- In 1975, the United Nations characterized Zionism as "a form of racism". By the early 1990s, under pressure from the United States, that characterization was rescinded. Such rescinding did not make the characterization any the less true then or now.
- The role of the Communist Party today, in 2010, must intervene in the following ways to consign Zionism to the rubble of history:
- * To organize those forces in our country that will pressure the United States to withhold all government funding and other non-humanitarian resources to Israel
- * To place travel bans to our country on all prominent Zionist Israeli leadership
- * To forbid commerce and trade between our two countries, until the state of Israel begins to meet in good faith to address the right of return of the Palestinian peoples to their homeland and other forms of reparations for damages and losses suffered since 1948.
- To reiterate and conclude: Zionism is a form of racism, and racism has no place in our Communist Party.
On May 27 2010, Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism member Greg King, wrote an email to several "CCDS members", forwarded from "Carl D", (probably Carl Davidson) on the subject of a John Case article on the just finished Communist Party USA National Convention in New York. The email named the "CCDS members" as Al Sargis, Jim Nakamura, John Witeck, Joe Bageant, W. A. Halabi, Mort Ahmadifar, Oliver Lee, Gary Hicks and Sandy Rosen.
- From: Greg King <gking...@msn.com>
- Subject: FW: [CCDS Members] FYI from CarlD: JCase's Reflections on the CPUSA 29th Convention''
- "Al Sargis" <albertsar...@comcast.net>, "Jim Nakamura" <j...@sonic.net>, "John Witeck" <witeckj...@hawaii.rr.com>, "Joe Bageant" <bagean...@aim.com>, "W.A. Halabi" <wah...@yahoo.com>, "Mort Ahmadifar" <ahmadi...@comcast.net>, "Oliver Lee" <o...@hawaii.edu>, "Gary Hicks" <longmarch2...@yahoo.com>, "Sandy Rosen" s...@verizon.net
Breaking the silence, Dr. Martin Luther King
On January 16 2011, presentations by Al Sargis, "Resistance to Racism of African-American Soldiers, Marines, and Sailors During the Vietnam War"; and by Gary Hicks, "Against Militarism, Racism, and Exploitation: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and the National Security State", were held at Niebyl-Proctor Marxist Library, Oakland.
"China, The Working Class, Unions And The Economy" forum
On July 6 2011 a forum "China, The Working Class, Unions And The Economy" was held at the Niebyl-Proctor Marxist Library, 6501 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland California .
- China is now developing into the largest economy in the world and this forum will discuss how this affects Chinese working people, unions (official & independent) and the Chinese people. It will also look at how the US government, U.S. unions and media look at this development
A panel followed by audience discussion:
- ↑ How Class Works - 2002 Conference Schedule (accessed July 24 2010)
- ↑ http://cpusa.org/convention-discussion-the-main-immediate-task-of-the-cpusa/
- ↑ Convention Discussion: Zionism is a form of racism, and racism has no place in our Communist Party! by: Gary Hicks, April 20 2010
- ↑  Google groups, Socialist Economics FW: [CCDS Members] FYI from CarlD: JCase's Reflections on the CPUSA 29th Convention, May 27, 2010, accessed June 10, 2010
- ↑ http://peoplesworld.org/events/409 peoples world, Events]
- ↑ [http://peoplesworld.org/events/555 PW events, Oakland, Calif.: China, The Working Class, Unions And The Economy July 6 2011 19:00 - July 6 2011 21:00]