Schmidt has worked as Chairman of Google since 2001. Under his leadership, Google has dramatically scaled its infrastructure and broadened its offerings while maintaining a culture of strong innovation.
New America Foundation
Schmidt serves as Chair of the Board of Directors for the New America Foundation. He is also listed as serving on the Leadership Council for the organization, and contributing over $25,000 each year. Founded in 1999 by Ted Halstead, the Foundation is a leftist public policy institute which claims to be nonpartisan, and seeks pragmatic solutions to "the next generation of challenges facing the United States". He and his wife, Wendy Schmidt donated over $1,000,000 to the Foundation in 2008.
Schmidt is a member of President Obama's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.
Top Capitalists Meet with Obama
On Dec. 15, 2010, President Barack Obama met with the following business leaders: Greg Brown, Motorola; John Chambers, Cisco Systems; Kenneth Chenault, American Express; Dave Cote, Chairman of Honeywell International Inc.; Scott Davis, UPS; John Doerr, partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers; Mark Gallogly, managing partner at Centerbridge Partners; Lew Hay, NextEra Energy; Jeffrey Immelt, General Electric; Ellen Kullman, DuPont; John Lechleiter, Eli Lilly; Andrew Liveris, Dow Chemical; James McNerney, Boeing; Indra Nooyi, PepsiCo; Paul Otellini, Intel; Penny Pritzker, Pritzker Realty Group; Brian Roberts, Comcast; Jim Rogers, Duke Energy; Eric Schmidt, Google; and Robert Wolf, UBS.
The stated purpose of the meeting was to discuss ways to work together on economic issues including job creation.
Prior to entering the meeting, Obama made a public statement during which he stated,
- "I believe that the primary engine of America's economic success is not government, it's the dynamism of our markets. And for me, the most important question about an economic idea is... whether it will help spur businesses, jobs and growth."
- ↑ New America Foundation website: Board (accessed on Feb. 28, 2010)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Google: Executive (accessed on May 4, 2010)
- ↑ New America Foundation website: Leadership Council (accessed on May 4, 2010)
- ↑ New America Foundation website: About (accessed on May 4, 2010)
- ↑ New America Foundation website: Statement on Nonpartisanship and Political Activity (accessed on May 4, 2010)
- ↑ New America Foundation website: Our Funding (accessed on May 4, 2010)
- ↑ The Hill: White House announces chief executives attending Wednesday's meeting, Dec. 14, 2010 (accessed on Dec. 20, 2010)
- ↑ The Washington Post: The socialist president plays host to capitalism, Dec. 15, 2010 (accessed on Dec. 20, 2010)