Douglass W. Cassel
Douglass W. Cassel is Director of the Notre Dame Law School’s Center for Civil and Human Rights.
Cassel has served as a consultant to the United Nations, the Organization of American States, the U.S. State Department, and the Ford Foundation. From 1992 to 1993, he served as legal advisor to the U.N. Commission on the Truth for El Salvador, supervising its investigations, and acting as principle editor of its report. His scholarly articles in English and Spanish are published in the United States, Latin America and Europe, and he lectures at universities and conferences worldwide. On behalf of retired United States diplomats, and leading experts on international law, he has filed several amicus curiae briefs in the United States Supreme Court, involving the rights of prisoners at Guantanamo, and accountability for human rights violations. He represents victims of human rights violations in Colombia, Guatemala, Peru and Venezuela, in cases before the Inter-American Commission and Inter-American Court of Human Rights.
Tribute to Golub and Montgomery
Speaking with Ayers and Obama
Bill Ayers and Barack Obama spoke together at a public gathering sponsored by The Center for Public Intellectuals & the University of Illinois-Chicago, April 19th-20th, 2002, at the Chicago Illini Union;
"Intellectuals: Who Needs Them?
IV. Intellectuals in Times of Crisis
Experiences and applications of intellectual work in urgent situations.
- Bill Ayers, UIC, College of Education; author of Fugitive Days
- Douglass Cassel, Northwestern University, Center for International Human Rights
- Cathy Cohen, University of Chicago, Political Science
- Salim Muwakkil, Chicago Tribune; In These Times
- Barack Obama, Illinois State Senator
- Barbara Ransby, UIC, African-American Studies (moderator).
2002 Chicago DSA award dinner speaker
Business and Professional People for the Public Interest
In 2008, Douglass Cassel served on the Advisory Board of the Chicago based Business and Professional People for the Public Interest.
Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Cassel's profile with Notre Dame
- Tribute to Golub and Montgomery: Program, Nov. 16, 1989
- Chicago DSA website, 44th Annual Debs - Thomas - Harrington Dinner
- BPI website: Board of Directors
- Board of Directors, LCCRUL