Dominic Chan ...
Institute for Social and Economic Studies/CrossRoads
In the mid 1990s Dominic Chan servedon the Board of Directors of Oakland based Institute for Social and Economic Studies- sponsor of CrossRoads magazine, which sought to promote dialogue and building new alliances among progressives and leftists... and to bring diverse Marxist and socialist traditions to bear while exploring new strategies and directions for the progressive political movements.
Dominic Chan started June 1 as DSA's financial manager, replacing Gary Lucek who held that post for over four years. Chan, a graduate student in sociology at the State University of New York (SUNY) at Stony Brook, was active at school in the campaign for the right of teaching assistants to unionize. Dominic was anxious to leave the "ivory tower" of the academic world to fight instead for social and economic justice.
While at Stony Brook, Dominic Chan served as the treasurer of the Graduate Student Organization and the secretary of the Graduate Students Employees Union, Local 1188 of the Communications Workers of America (CWA).
In 1991 Dominic Chan was a DSA staff member.
1995 DSA leadership
- Theresa Alt/Ithaca, NY
- Shoshana Bricklin/Philadelphia, PA
- Dominic Chan/Brooklyn, NY
- Rachel Dewey/Princeton, NJ
- Tom Ellett/Sparta, WI
- Lynne Mosley Engelskirchen/Santa Monica, CA
- Julia Fitzgerald/Brooklyn, NY
- Karen Marie Gibson/Brooklyn, NY
- David Glenn/Brooklyn, NY
- Jeff Lacher/Dayton, NJ
- Jose LaLuz/San Juan, PR
- Frank Llewellyn/Brooklyn, NY
- Anne McCormick/Washington, DC
- William Mclver, Jr./Lafayette, CO
- Steve Oliver/Brooklyn, NY
- Loretta Schuman/Washington, DC
- Joseph Schwartz/Ithaca, NY
- Patricia Sexton/New York, NY
- Kurt Stand/Washington, DC
- Steve Tarzynski/Santa Monica, CA
- Eric Vega/Sacramento, CA
- Juanita Webster/New York, NY
In 1996 "Labor Activist" was published by the Democratic Socialists of America Youth Section Labor Solidarity Committee
Dominic Chan, Organizer, Communication Workers of America
Carmen Mitchell, DSA Youth Organizer
- ↑ Crossroads March 1996
- ↑ DEMOCRATIC LEFT 3 JULY- AUGUST 1990, page 13
- ↑ Dem. left Jan./Feb. 1991 page 12
- ↑ Dem. Left, Sep./Oct. 1993, page 15
- ↑ email from C Riddiough to S Tarzynski Dec 9 1994
- ↑ Dem. Left Jan/Feb 1996
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20010211122648/www.dsausa.org/archive/LA/LabAct33.html