- 1 Progressive salute
- 2 Communist Party's May Day Salute
- 3 Communist Party Labor Day call
- 4 Salt of the Earth Labor College
- 5 ”D-M Six”
- 6 Endorsed Communist Party Call
- 7 Raging Granny
- 8 WIDF
- 9 ACLU
- 10 Women's Equality Commission
- 11 Working with ACORN
- 12 HCAN
- 13 Arizona "progressive" community
- 14 Attacking Sheriff Joe
- 15 References
In May 1992, the Communist Party USA newspaper, Peoples Weekly World published a May Day supplement. This included a signed greeting from "Southern Arizona's progressive community", most of who were known Communist Party USA members.
One of the signatories was Carolyn Trowbridge..
Communist Party's May Day Salute
In 1995 the Communist Party USA newspaper People's Weekly World, published a "May Day salute" to the "heroes in the class war zone". More than 100 unionists/activists endorsed the call, mostly known affiliates, or members of the Communist Party.
Communist Party Labor Day call
Of the more than 100 endorsers listed, almost all were identified members of the Communist Party USA.
Carolyn Trowbridge ,Tuscon, was on the list.
Salt of the Earth Labor College
2014 Salt of the Earth Labor College speakers included;
- March 22nd, HOW ABOUT A SOCIALIST USA? , Workshop/Panel with local activists Carolyn Trowbridge, Joe Bernick, and Dereka Rushbrook.
Even the judge who found a group of Tucson peace activists guilty of criminal trespass yesterday complimented the defendants on their commitment and integrity.
”I don’t believe your motivation was anything other than what you said,” Tucson City Magistrate Mitchell S. Eisenberg told the group, which has earned the nickname ”D-M Six.”
”I’ve never met anyone with convictions such as you.”
The group was arrested at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base on March 1, 1998, after it crossed the front gate in an effort to inspect the base for weapons made with depleted uranium.
”It’s a timely issue now that we may go back to war with Iraq,” group member Lisa Kiser said.
”Davis-Monthan has confirmed that uranium is stored on the base and that, yes, we will deploy if there is a war. There are huge safety issues with those (weapons) coming in and out of Tucson.”
The six Tucsonans convicted yesterday of criminal trespass for entering Davis-Monthan Air Force Base without permission are Gery Armsby, Felice Cohen-Joppa, Carolyn Epple, Lisa Kiser, Dwight Metzger and Carolyn Trowbridge.
A City Court magistrate yesterday said the group violated state law by trespassing on the Air Force base and sentenced them to unsupervised probation plus community service. A conviction for misdemeanor criminal trespass carries a maximum sentence of 30 days in jail and a $500 fine.
Tucson police arrested the six March 1 after they entered D-M without permission.
The group’s attorney, Paul Gattone, yesterday wasn’t sure whether he would appeal the judge’s decision to Pima County Superior Court.
”A lot was accomplished here today,” Gattone said. ”I’m proud of them. The judge by his own admission learned something.”
Endorsed Communist Party Call
On March 30 2002 the Communist Party USA paper People’s Weekly World called for a national holiday in honor of late Farm Workers Union leader Cesar Chavez. The article was followed by a long list of endorsersincluding Carolyn Trowbridge, Almost all endorsers were confirmed members of the Communist Party USA.
Women's Equality Commission
Working with ACORN
- Carolyn Trowbridge has worked closely with ACORN.
- We were told ACORN's Tucson contact left over the summer so we're not sure what the status is at their office. Carolyn Trowbridge told us ACORN's presence here has been hit and miss.....
Arizona "progressive" community
- Arizona’s progressive community extends May Day and Cinco de Mayo greetings to all our friends across the country. We commit ourselves to join the struggle for jobs, equality, national health care, a fair immigration policy, and for peace and justice in the Middle East. Let’s make this planet a good place to live for all its inhabitants.
Arizona Peace Council, AZ4NORML, Campaign for Labor Rights, The Einstein Academy, Casa Maria/Catholic Worker East Valley Club Communist Party USA, Law Office of Payson & Gattone, The Latino Doctrine (TV show) Revolutionary Grounds Books and Coffee, Salt of the Earth Labor College Tucson Club CPUSA , Tucson Peace Action Coalition
Clyde Appleton, Mary Elinor Adams, Rolande Baker, Anne Brenner, Joe Bernick and Cat Stelman, Nancy Bissell, Jack Blawis, Don Buchanan, Richard Boren, Susan Clark, Rebeca Cartes, Eugenia Chilton, Jack DeWeese, Howard Druan, & DD Sande, Gregory Feesl, Ray Figueroa, Brian Flagg, Michael Flower, Sean Fowlkes, Nancy Gallen, Maggie Gerring, Michael Gray, Nancy Graham, James Hannley, Beverly Halkias, Jeff Imig, Mansur Johnson, James Jordan & Raquel Mogollon, Frank Jents, Marilyn Kramer, John Kromko, Jim Kincaid, Brandy Lintencum, Rob McElwain, Mary MacEwan, John Mackoviak, Jane Martin & Bob Vint, Jon Miles, Nancy Myers, Kathy Norgard, Richard Osburn, Ismael Parra, Nancy Pontius , Alice Ritter, Carlos Salaz, Sr., Mazda Shirazi, Rosemary Solarez, James Stewart, Brian Stevens, Olga Strickland, Donald Tewels, Dennis Tallent & Laura Tallent, Anita Torrez & Lorenzo Torrez, Carolyn Trowbridge & Keith Bagwell, Susan Thorpe, Steve Valencia & Janet Valencia, Edward Vargas, Steve Wheaton, Michael Wheeler, Susan Willis , Wendell Wilson, Deb Wilmer.
Attacking Sheriff Joe
In an October 2009 interview with Pepe Lozano of the People's World, Carolyn Trowbridge heavily criticized the famous Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio for his allegedly harsh treatment of Latino immigrants.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has removed controversial Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio's authority to arrest suspected undocumented immigrants on the streets based solely on their immigration status.
Carolyn Trowbridge, a Tucson, Ariz., immigrant rights activist and a state board member of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the government's move was correct. The Maricopa County sheriff "has clearly violated people's human rights on a grand scale" in tracking down and sweeping up anybody with brown skin.
- "In most cases he is clearly out of his jurisdiction and clearly he is also out of his mind...The guy is a maniac."
Trowbridge said Arpaio is known for causing confrontations with small town mayors and chiefs of police who speak out against his immigration roundups.
- "Arpaio and his posse will arrest anybody who looks like an immigrant and his definition of ‘illegal' is anybody with dark skin... Racism plays a major role here."
In March, the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division announced it was investigating Arpaio's office on accusations of racial profiling, discrimination and unconstitutional searches and seizures.
"There needs to be a real change in how we view immigration rights in this country and I'm heartened to know that the Obama administration is looking at this process in a more humane way," said Trowbridge.
- Peoples Weekly World May 2 1992, May Day supplement
- People's Weekly World May 6 1995 p 2
- People's Weekly World Sep 2 1995 p 14
- PWW August 31, 1996, page 8
- SELC, Class Schedule for Spring 2014
- Tuscon Citizen, Judge convicts, praises ‘D-M 6′.by Stephanie Innes on Dec. 11, 1998
- Peoples Weekly World July 26 2006
- PW Women of the world unite for peace and solidarity, by: Carolyn Trowbridge June 22 2007