Betty Sheinbaum (Los Angeles)
New American Movement
Los Angeles DSA potential donors list
On July 26 1992 California Democratic Socialists of America leader Steve Tarzynski wrote a draft "major donor letter" for Southern California DSA, inviting donors to join the Upton Sinclair Club of DSA
- We know you have been generous in supporting DSA's important work in the past. We'd like to develop a core of at least twelve people who will pledge 1,000 annually to keep our Organization working for Southern California DSA. We invite you to be one of those people. This select group of members and friends would have a key role in rebuilding a democratic left opposition in California.
- This unique group of individuals would form the "Upton Sinclair Club" which will act in an advisory role meeting with the Southern California DSA leadership at an annual brunch. Sinclair Club members will receive a quarterly bulletin reporting on Southern California DSA's progress, and will have an opportunity to meet international DSA spokespeople and international guest speakers in more intimate small group settings. Admission to all local, statewide, and national DSA events in the Southern California would be complimentary with membership in the Sinclair Club.
The draft was accompanied by a "List of Potential major donors to DSA"
- Peg Yorkin
- Margery Tabankin (has contacts to donors)
- Ed Asner
- Clark Branson
- Jan Breidenbach & Dan Stormer
- Paula Litt & Barrett Litt
- Ben Margolis
- John McTernan
- Paul Schrade & Monica Weil
- Marv Schacter
- Aris Anagnos
- Shirley Magidson
- Robert Foxworth & Elizabeth Montgomery
- Danny Goldberg
- Leon Goldin
- Nancy Shinno
- Mark Haendel
- Sarah Pillsbury
- Barbara Cohn
- Jackson Browne & Daryl Hannah
- Martin Sheen
- Frank Wilkinson & Donna Wilkinson
- Richard Saxon & Pauline Saxon
- Richard Dreyfuss
- Sol Londe & Jeanne Londe
- Stanley Sheinbaum & Betty Sheinbaum
- George Gaynes
- Clancy Sigal
- Bill Zimmerman
Upton Sinclair Club
In the early 1990s Stanley Sheinbaum and Betty Sheinbaum of Los Angeles, were members of the Upton Sinclair Club, of Democratic Socialists of America. The club consisted of wealthy Californians able to contribute significant donations to DSA.
On Sunday July 29, 1990, Stanley Sheinbaum, and Betty Sheinbaum hosted DSA members Dorothy Healey and Maurice Isserman at their home in Los Angeles for a Reception and Book Signing Party to to mark the publication of "Dorothy Healey Remembers:A Life in the American Communist Party".
Woolsey/Sheinbaum fund raiser
Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey, the first Member of Congress to call on the President to bring our troops home, was be in Los Angeles on Saturday February 4th 2006, for a 'very exciting but critical fundraiser against the most well-known, well-financed challenger she's ever faced". woolsey was facing a primary challenge from a termed-out Assemblyman Joe Nation, a moderate Democrat who has been critical of her stand on the war and on bringing home our troops. He is raising money from people who have given money to Tom DeLay and Bush-Cheney and his legislative district covers 60+% of Congresswoman Woolsey's district. Congresswoman Woolsey is a "champion of equal rights, civil liberties, protecting the environment and fighting for single payer healthcare. Congresswoman Woolsey must be re-elected by the same victory margin she has had in the past to send a message to progressives everywhere that's it IS OK to be courageous, and to not back down on issues that matter."
The Host Committee for this fundraiser includes:
Ben Affleck; Ed Asner; Warren Beatty; Jodie Evans; James Cromwell; Matt Damon; Tom Hayden; Wendy Herzog; Mimi Kennedy; Norman Lear; Stephen Rohde; Susie Shannon; Stanley Sheinbaum & Betty Sheinbaum; Lorraine Sheinberg; Kathy Spillar; Gloria A. Totten; Peg Yorkin; Senator Barbara Boxer; Congressman Joe Baca; Congressman Xavier Becerra; Congresswoman Lois Capps; Congresswoman Jane Harman; Congresswoman Juanita Millender-McDonald; Congresswoman Grace Napolitano; Congresswoman; Lucille Roybal-Allard; Congresswoman Linda Sanchez; Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez; Congressman Adam Schiff; Congresswoman Hilda Solis; Congresswoman Maxine Waters; Congresswoman Diane Watson; Senator Sheila Kuehl and Assemblywoman Karen Bass.
Progressives for Obama
Liberty Hill Foundation
As at 2009, Betty Sheinbaum was a member of the Advisory Board of the Liberty Hill Foundation, a Los Angeles based organization seeking to advance movements for social change through a combination of grants, leadership training and alliance-building.
46th Annual ACLU Garden Party
Paying Tribute To These Champions of Civil Liberties:
- Stanley K. Sheinbaum Award - Ed Asner
- Legislator of the Year Award - Karen Bass, Speaker of the California Assembly
- Activist of the Year Award - Laura Chick, California Inspector General
- Chapter Activist of the Year Award David V. DuFault, Desert Chapter
- Chapter of the Year Award Pasadena-Foothill Chapter
"Free the Cuban 5"
From an April 8,2011 letter.
"Dear President Carter:
We, Actors and Artists United for the Freedom of the Cuban 5, want to extend our deepest gratitude for your recent visit to Cuba, as well as our support for your statements promoting improved relations between our countries.
Your call for the release of Gerardo Hernandez Nordelo, Antonio Guerrero Rodriguez, Fernando Gonzalez Llort, Ramon Labanino Salazar, and Rene Gonzalez Sehwerert, known as the Cuban 5, and your willingness to visit with their family members in Cuba mean a great deal to all involved. We strongly agree that there is no reason to keep these men, who were simply trying to protect their country from terrorism, imprisoned any longer...
Further, we enthusiastically support you in having subsequent discussions with President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and hope you will call for urgent action on their part to make right this unjust situation.
Again, we thank you and look forward to the possibility of improved relations and future visits to Cuba.
Ed Asner, Co-Chair , Danny Glover, Co-Chair, Jackson Browne , James Cromwell, Mike Farrell, Richard Foos, Elliott Gould, Chrissie Hand , Francisco Letelier, Esai Morales, Graham Nash , Bonnie Raitt, Susan Sarandon, Pete Seeger, Martin Sheen , Betty Sheinbaum, Stanley Sheinbaum, Andy Spahn, Oliver Stone ,Haskell Wexler
- 10th Anniversary Booklet for the New American Movement, 1981
- Steve Tarzynski DSA major donor letter draft July 26, 1992, Tarzynski papers, Southern California Library for Social Change
- Sinclair Club membership list, Steve Tarzynski papers
- Democratic Left, July/August 1990, page 2
- http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=6486&pst=347342 LA Event Featuring Warren Beatty, Matt Daman for Lynn Woolsey 2/4/06 January 31, 2006 3:45 PM
- Liberty Hill website: Advisory Board
- ACLU SC website, accessed Sept. 19, 2011
- [http://mltoday.com/subject-areas/cuba/letter-from-san-antonio-activists-supporting-the-cuban-5-1231.html, Marxism-Leninism Today, Letter from San Antonio Activists Supporting the Cuban 5 PDF Print E-mail Oct. 2, 2011]