2009 Gaza Flotilla
2009 Gaza Flotilla The Free Gaza Movement departed from Larnaca Port for the Gaza Strip at 10am, Thursday 25 June. Two ships, the Free Gaza and the Spirit of Humanity, with 3 tons of medical supplies, 15 tons of cement, suitcases full of toys, crayons and coloring books for children, as well as activists and journalists from 14 countries, including Nobel laureate Mairead Maguire and former U.S. Congresswoman and presidential candidate Cynthia McKinney.
Passengers on the boat named Spirit of Humanity formerly known as the Arion.
- Khalad Abdelkader, Bahrain engineer representing the Islamic Charitable Association of Bahrain.
- Othman Abufalah, Jordan journalist with al-Jazeera TV.
- Khaled Al-Shenoo, Bahrain lecturer with the University of Bahrain.
- Mansour Al-Abi, Yemen cameraman with Al-Jazeera TV.
- Fatima Al-Attawi, Bahrain relief worker and community activist from Bahrain.
- Juhaina Alqaed, Bahrain journalist & human rights activist.
- Huwaida Arraf, US is the Chair of the Free Gaza Movement and delegation co-coordinator for this voyage.
- Ishmahil Blagrove, UK Jamaican-born journalist, documentary film maker and founder of the Rice & Peas film production company. His documentaries focus on international struggles for social justice.
- Kaltham Ghloom, Bahrain community activist.
- Derek Graham, Ireland electrician, Free Gaza organizer, and first mate aboard the Spirit of Humanity.
- Alex Harrison, UK solidarity worker from Britain. She is traveling to Gaza to do long-term human rights monitoring.
- Denis Healey, UK Captain of the Spirit of Humanity. This is his fifth voyage to Gaza.
- Fathi Jaouadi, UK British journalist, Free Gaza organizer, and delegation co-coordinator for this voyage.
- Mairead Maguire, Ireland Mairead is a Nobel laureate and renowned peace activist.
- Lubna Masarwa, Palestine/Israel Palestinian human rights activist and Free Gaza organizer.
- Theresa McDermott, Scotland solidarity worker from Scotland. She is traveling to Gaza to do long-term human rights monitoring.
- Cynthia McKinney, US Cynthia McKinney is an outspoken advocate for human rights and social justice issues, as well as a former U.S. congresswoman and presidential candidate.
- Adnan Mormesh, UK solidarity worker from Britain. He is traveling to Gaza to do long-term human rights monitoring.
- Adam Qvist, Denmark solidarity worker from Denmark. He is traveling to Gaza to do human rights monitoring.
- Adam Shapiro, US American documentary film maker and co-founder of the International Solidarity Movement.
- Kathy Sheetz, US nurse and film maker, traveling to Gaza to do human rights monitoring.
Passengers on the boat named Free Gaza
- Bahrain Gulf Weekly , Article detailing account of repatriation of Bahrain citizens arrested while participating in the flotilla
- Palsolidarity website: Israeli navy arrests passengers on Free Gaza Movement boat (accessed on April 8, 2011)