- 1 Background
- 2 'Sunrise NYC' Rally for Zellnor Myrie
- 3 Zellnor Myrie at the 'Families Belong Together' march
- 4 'Our Revolution' Endorsement
- 5 'Working Families' Endorsement
- 6 Corey Johnson Endorsement
- 7 'Rise and Resist' Rally for Zellnor Myrie
- 8 Letter to Independent Democratic Conference
- 9 True Blue NY
- 10 References
Bio provided by Our Revolution:
- "Zellnor Myrie is a Brooklyn native, lawyer, and longtime affordable housing advocate. Zellnor derives inspiration for his public service from his mother who moved to Brooklyn 40 years ago from Costa Rica on the promise of a mattress in a friend’s apartment and a job at a factory. His father has been a special education teacher for the past 17 years, and is a current member of The United Federation of Teachers. Zellnor was raised primarily by his mother in a rent-stabilized apartment in Prospect Lefferts Gardens allowing him to attend one of the best public schools in the borough."
'Sunrise NYC' Rally for Zellnor Myrie
In July 2018, Sunrise NYC hosted a meeting at Zellnor Myrie's campaign office.
From their Facebook invitation:
- "Come join us for painting, music, pizza, games, and hanging out with cool Sunrise NYC folks at Zellnor Myrie's new campaign office!
- "We're starting with a brief Sunrise NYC 101, so if you wanna learn how to get plugged into our movement to help us make climate change an urgent priority in the upcoming elections, COME ON TIME! Plus we need to get a pizza count!"
Zellnor Myrie at the 'Families Belong Together' march
'Our Revolution' Endorsement
'Working Families' Endorsement
Corey Johnson Endorsement
'Rise and Resist' Rally for Zellnor Myrie
In April 2018, Rise and Resist hosted a rally for Zellnor Myrie.
From their Facebook invitation:
- "Join us as we rally for Zellnor Myrie, our next state senator in District 20. Myrie, members of grassroots groups, and Democrat voters will meet near Prospect Park for a short rally and voter education.
- "The Independent Democratic Conference (IDC) may have rejoined the Democrats for now, but they've been willing to ally themselves with the GOP since 2011 - and they've claimed to return to the Democratic fold before. New York deserves REAL Democrats who stand for progressive values, not Trump Democrats."
Letter to Independent Democratic Conference
In April 2018, IDC challengers Jessica Ramos, Robert Jackson, Alessandra Biaggi, Rachel May, Jasmine Robinson, Zellnor Myrie and John Duane released a letter to the Independent Democratic Conference, which is perceived by progressives as a conservative wing of New York lawmakers, which consist of Marisol Alcantara, Tony Avella, David Carlucci, Jesse Hamilton, Jeffrey D. Klein, Jose Peralta, Diane Savino and David J. Valesky. The letter derided the members for blocking a budget that would have allotted funds for issues like climate change, transgender rights, funding for illegal immigrants to go to college, and gun control.
True Blue NY
March 1st, 2018, New York, Today, more than 60 New York grassroots groups endorsed the following challengers to five members of the New York Senate’s Independent Democratic Conference (IDC): Alessandra Biaggi (District 34, Bronx and Westchester), Robert Jackson (District 31, Northern Manhattan), Rachel May (District 53, Syracuse area), Zellnor Myrie (District 20, Brooklyn), and Jessica Ramos (District 13, Queens).
The newly formed True Blue NY Grassroots Coalition is a diverse network of groups that have mobilized statewide with a unified goal to defeat the IDC. Coalition leaders spoke out today at a press conference at City Hall in Manhattan. The Coalition will eventually endorse challengers for all of the districts represented by IDC members.
“We stand here today not just because of stalled legislation in Albany, but because the IDC has been costly in other ways. Senator Jeffrey D. Klein and Independent Democratic Conference divide the Democratic Party when unity is paramount. We also stand here today because we’ve decided it’s time to take back our government and our Party,” says Carmela Gaines of Queens Huddle.
- Campaign website for Zellnor Myrie, accessed July 8 2018
- , accessed July 8 2018
- accessed July 8 2018
- Zellnor Myrie, accessed July 8 2018
- UPDATE: NYWFP is taking on the IDC, accessed July 8 2018
- Ocasio-Cortez’s victory is already reshaping New York politics, accessed July 8 2018
- Council Speaker Corey Johnson backs 4 challengers to breakaway Democratic state senators, accessed July 8 2018
- Blue Wave: Rally for Zellnor Myrie, accessed July 8 2018
- RAMOS, JACKSON, BIAGGI, MAY, ROBINSON, MYRIE AND DUANE TELL IDC: NO DEAL, accessed July 8 2018