Ruth Anna Buffalo
Ruth Anna Buffalo chairs the Board of directors at North Dakota Human Rights Coalition.
Ruth Anna Buffalo is a public health professional and educator. She is a volunteer to several local and statewide boards which focus on improving the quality of life for all people. She is a member to various advisory councils focused on women’s health, women’s leadership and local food systems. Her consultant and independent contract work has included; ACLU of ND, Honor the Earth, Sacred Pipe Resource Center, and the MHA Nation. Her work includes advocacy, community capacity-building and continued reconciliation efforts through education. Ruth hopes her efforts will contribute to policy changes in all levels of government for future generations. She is a community advocate for all people. Her passion is safe and healthy communities. Ms. Buffalo has served on the Board of the North Dakota Human Rights Coalition since 2011.
Ruth Anna Buffalo, Mia Eh’Desh or Woman Appears, is a citizen of the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara Nation, and is originally from Mandaree, North Dakota, located on the Fort Berthold reservation.
Buffalo has devoted her education and career to improving the health and lives of the public. She has 20+ years of community work ranging from youth to building community coalitions. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice (Si Tanka University), and earned a Master degree in Public Health from North Dakota State University (NDSU), and Master degrees in Management and in Business Administration from University of Mary.
Her background includes health services, research, policy and education in public health. She has worked on several projects in the areas of community wellness, traffic safety, substance use community interventions, culturally tailored breast cancer awareness materials, and maternal and child health. Ruth is also a small business owner, as her family owns a local barbershop.
Ruth’s background in public health and indigenous perspective guide her work. She recently ran for public office in 2016 as a candidate for ND Insurance Commissioner, and also completed work for the ACLU of North Dakota which focused on Standing Rock. She is a new board member to the North Dakota Human Rights Coalition, and is an alumni of several women’s leadership initiatives. Prior consultant work includes the Mandan Hidatsa Arikara Nation’s Summer Youth Employment Program and Sacred Pipe Resource Center. Currently, she is a consultant for Honor the Earth, which focuses on anti-racism work through community capacity building, reconciliation, education and partnerships.
- Studied MPH American Indian public health at North Dakota State University
- University of Mary and University of Kansas Medical Center
DSA Women's Caucus Facebook group
WALKING IN TWO WORLD EMPOWERMENT SUMMIT
STANDING ROCK YOUTH SERVICES PRESENTS: WALKING IN TWO WORLD EMPOWERMENT SUMMIT
September 28, 2017
Prairie Knight Casino and Resort- Pavilion
46 miles south of Mandan, ND on Hwy 1806
MC: Nola Taken Alive
- Ladonna Brave Bull Allard: Sacred Stone
- Kim Smith: Honor the Earth
- Tokata Iron Eyes: Standing Rock Youth
- Ruth Anna Buffalo: Honor the Earth
Building a Progressive Democracy Together
Red River Valley Democratic Socialists of America shared an event, June 5 2018.
We're teaming up with the Dem-Npl Hispanic Caucus of North Dakota, the New Nonpartisan League, Our Revolution, Ruth Anna Buffalo, and others to share some food and camaraderie on Thursday. Come on out and join us.
THU, JUN 7
Building a Progressive Democracy Together.
Freedom Road.us team, July 2018.
- Lisa Sharon Harper - President
- Rev. Rene August - Senior Consultant
- Ruth Anna Buffalo - Senior Consultant
- Rev. Dr. Diane Johnson, PH.D. - Senior Consultant
- Rev.Michael Mata - Senior Consultant
- Rev. Dr. Soong-Chan Rah - Senior Consultant
- Dr. Claudia Owens Shields, PH.D. - Senior Consultant
- Dr. Randy Woodley- Senior Consultant Duo
- Edith Woodley - Senior Consultant Duo
- Michelle Higgins - Consultant
- Jose Humphreys - Consultant
- Alexei Laushkin - Consultant
- Rev. Waltrina Middleton - Consultant
- Cara Meredith - Associate
- Katie Zimmerman - Associate
- Ruthie Johnson - Associate
- Joed Lopez - Associate
- Mallory Faulkner - Associate
- Joy Cherie Guion Bailey - Associate