DSA Fairbanks contact
In 2009 DSA Alaska Secretary/Treasurer Dick Farris says that “overall,...progressive Democrats made gains” they can build on. They helped elect some members of the state legislature, and DSA members will be meeting with state representatives “to promote a progressive agenda for Alaska.”
Occupy Fairbanks Involvement
Dick Farris of Alaska Democratic Socialists of America wrote the following in a report on the demonstration:
- "In Fairbanks, a group of University students are camped out in a downtown park even though it is minus five. Fairbanks DSA members have provided food and other items needed by those occupying the park.
- Our conclusion is that what must follow OWS are concrete proposals to transform a corporate economic system that has eliminated jobs while rewarding the 1% even more to a consumer based, equitable economic system. We propose a fair and reasonable profit of 10% on monies actually invested. After the 10% return on investment, profits are redirected to a public job creation fund. We propose large banking institutions be downsized into localized credit unions. We also propose that banks and other financial institutions have the 10% fair and reasonable profit imposed on them as well. Credit card charges should be limited to 10% fair and reasonable profit. Once 10% is gained from credit card charges, no interest would be allowed."
- Dem. Left, Jan./Feb. 1993. page 7
- Democratic Left, Winter 2009
- DSA: DSA Members Participate in Occupy Wall Street (accessed on Nov. 2, 2011)