From the Georgia official government website:
- "During college Renitta Shannon worked as a restaurant server, earned scholarships, took out student loans, and with the help of her parents, graduated from the University of Florida with a bachelor’s degree in Sociology. Since graduating college, Renitta has excelled in business development for several large industry leaders in Financial Services and Pharmaceutical & Medical Devices.
- "Renitta is a consistent and effective community activist. She is a graduate of the Georgia Stand Up Policy Institute and an active member of 9 to 5 Working Women Atlanta. She is the former Executive Vice President of the Georgia State Chapter of the National Organization for Women and is an active participant in the Fight for $15 campaign. Renitta is regularly intertwined in movements for economic justice, racial and gender equality.
'Friend' of Metro Atlanta Democratic Socialists of America
Renitta Shannon described as a "friend" of the Metro Atlanta Democratic Socialists of America on Facebook.
Renitta Shannon Discusses "Bad" Legislation with Socialists
Metro Atlanta Democratic Socialists of America tweeted that Renitta Shannon discussed "bad" Georgia legislation with them at a Metro Atlanta Democratic Socialists of America "general meeting" in April 2017.
Speaker at Working Families Party Launch Party for Stacey Abrams
On April 08 2018, the Working Families Party and Georgia "feminist" Aimee Castenell held an event in support of Stacey Abrams. Speakers included Representative Renitta Shannon, Councilman Khalid Kamau and Senator Nan Orrock.
Georgia State University professor Alex Sayf Cummings, who describes himself as a "Libyan, trans, socialist" on Twitter posted a short video of the event.
From the Tweet:
- “I am a socialist.” Black Lives Matter activist and the first self-identified socialist to get elected in Georgia, khalid kamau, speaking for Gov candidate @StaceyAbrams at Manuel’s Tavern.
Renitta Shannon addressed a Metro Atlanta Democratic Socialists of America meeting April i, 2017.
Misty Novitch May 24, 2016;
- Decatur folks! Don't forget to vote in the local primary for my good friend and activist colleague Renitta Shannon against the do-nothin' DINO Rahn Mayo today by 7pm! Power to the People!
Democratic Socialists of America has served as a signaling device for some Democrats — including black politicians from major American cities — to distinguish themselves from the party’s centrist wing. Brooklyn’s Rep. Major Owens (D-NY) and David Dinkins, who served as mayor of New York City in the early 1990s, were both DSA members. Current politicians affiliated with DSA include Khalid Kamau, a city council person in South Fulton, Georgia; Renitta Shannon, a Georgia state senator; and Ron Dellums, until recently Oakland’s mayor. These candidates technically run either as independents or on the Green Party or Democratic Party ballot line.
Campaigning for Stacey Abrams
Anoa Changa October 27:
- Working Families for Stacey Abrams Launch Party accessed July 30 2018
- Alex Sayf Cummings' tweet accessed July 30 2018
- Vox 9 questions about the Democratic Socialists of America you were too embarrassed to ask Updated by Jeff Stein Aug 5, 2017