Melissa Norton is a Durham North Carolina activist. She is a South-Florida native who relocated to North Carolina in 2006. She is an urban planner and policy analyst who has worked primarily in the fields of affordable housing and economic development. She believes Durham is a magical place and is passionate about lending her efforts to help make it a more just, equal and sustainable one. She lives with her partner Josh.
Durham People’s Alliance
- Sara Terry, Co-President
- Shamieka Rhinehart, Vice-President
- Ryan Smith
- Eric Boven
- DeDreana Freeman
- Marion Johnson
- Melissa Norton
- Kendra Montgomery-Blinn
- Carl Rist
- Lanya Shapiro
- Sondra Gayle Stein
- Magan Gonzales Thigpen
- Tommie Watson
Supporting the Kurds
December 28, 2015, Sendolo Diaminah posted on his FaceBook page supporting the Kurds;
- The Kurdish people have been engaged in an inspiring struggle to carve out freedom and autonomy for themselves, both from the corrupt states of Turkey, Iraq, and Syria AND from ISIS. Now the Turkish government is ramping up its repression of the Kurdish freedom movement. The first step in solidarity must be educating ourselves about this powerful struggle for freedom and rallying to its defense. Anthony Maglione, Manzoor Cheema, Hiram Rivera Marcano, Bryan Proffitt, Aaron Bryant, Thomas Wayne Walker, Jadebroo KS, Hashim Benford, Melissa Norton, Sijal Nasralla, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Gary Broderick, Aiden Riley Graham, Rufus Firefly, Zaina Alsous, Laila Nur, Sabeen Shaiq, Theo Luebke, Caitlin Breedlove...
"Supporting "progressive county commissioners"
Sendolo Diaminah wrote on his Facebook page February 24 2016;
- Kaji is so hyped to phone bank for progressive county commissioners that he came a week early--even tho there was a tornado warning! Y'all better get on his level!!… Durham we have a chance to elect commissioners who can use local office to defend our communities from all the attacks coming from the republican New Confederacy. Let's use our power! You know what I mean Nia, Zaina, Alec, Santos, Seamus, Ann, Ajamu, D'atra, Cheema, Mandy, Ade, Aiden, Lorisa, Bro Ray, Melissa...
Sendolo Diaminah backed the Duke-Durham occupation April 8 at 6:40pm, 2016. ·
- Come celebrate the struggle as it moves from occupation to the next stage! Bryan Proffitt, Kaji Reyes, Laila Nur, Rufus Firefly, Anca Stefan, Alec Greenwald, Manzoor Cheema, Monica Huerta, James Hill, Elena Everett, Chanelle Croxton, D’atra Jackson, Ajamu Dillahunt, Jr., Jadebroo KS, Nia Wilson, Anthony Maglione, Sijal Nasralla, Gary B Durham, Alec Greenwald, Aiden Graham, Melissa Norton, Bro Ray, Saba Taj, Ade Oh.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those indicating interest in attending, on Facebook included Melissa Norton.
Durham for All
Durham For All November 3, 2016.
Photo credit: Sufia Ikbal Doucet Studios — with Kaji Reyes, Ade Oh, Anthony Maglione, Michael Whyte, DeDreana Freeman, Mina Ezikpe, Melissa Norton, Anna Grant, Jillian Johnson, Jazmynne Williams, Courtney Sebring, Liz Ott, Eric Winston, Danielle Purifoy, Sendolo Diaminah and Nate Johnson.