- 1 Howard Zinn Exposed as One-Time Communist Party USA Member
- 2 Helsinki-Youth Festival
- 3 Herbert Aptheker Testimonial Dinner
- 4 GI Civil Liberties Defense Committee
- 5 Massachusetts Committee to Abolish HUAC
- 6 "Affinity group"
- 7 DSA Socialist School
- 8 New Party builder
- 9 Socialist Debs award
- 10 Remembering Richard Cloward
- 11 Endorsing ANSWER campaign
- 12 War Times
- 13 Not In Our Name
- 14 911 "Truther"
- 15 Frontpagemagazine dialogue between Dennis Prager and Howard Zinn
- 16 "Teach-In on the War"
- 17 MDS Board member
- 18 Free Mumia Abu-Jamal
- 19 World Can't Wait
- 20 Open letter to Andy Stern
- 21 Colombia Support Network
- 22 Opposing Israeli Policy in Gaza
- 23 Independent Progressive Politics Network
- 24 The People Speak
- 25 New Politics
- 26 The Progressive
- 27 External links
- 28 References
Howard Zinn Exposed as One-Time Communist Party USA Member
Documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act from the FBI revealed that Howard Zinn had been a secret member of the Communist Party USA (CPUSA) in the 1940's-early/mid 1950's. Cliff Kincaid, the top investigative journalist for the AIM Bulletin Accuracy In Media, got these documents which revealed Zinn's extensive CPUSA/fronts activities and published a major story in the AIM Bulleting, July 30, 2010, "Leftist 'Historian' Howard Zinn Lied About Red Ties."
This report can be found on the AIM website.
July 29-August 6, 1962 the World Youth Festival was held in Helsinki, under the auspices of the Soviet front World Federation of Democratic Youth.
Willard Uphaus, supporter of Communist fronts and Carlton Goodlett and Victor Rabinowitz, identified members of the Communist Party USA raised funds for the festival in a letter in the April 2, 1962 issue of the National Guardian.
Communist-aligned attendees were Charles Berrard, Michael Myerson, Harold Supriano and Michele Hall, daughter of communist Hawaiian labor leader Jack Hall, and future wife of Assemblyman, State Senator, Congressman and California Democratic Party Chairman John Burton (D-CA).
Professor Howard Zinn, an identified member of Communist Party USA active in ocmmunist fronts, American Peace Mobilization and New York CP dominated American Veterans Committee, helped recruit attendees to Helsinki confab.
Herbert Aptheker Testimonial Dinner
On April 28, 1966 Howard Zinn was a sponsor of the Herbert Aptheker Testimonial Dinner. The dinner was held on the occasion of Herbert Aptheker's 50th birthday, the publication of his 20th book, and the 2nd anniversary of the American Institute for Marxist Studies. It was held in the Sutton Ballroom, The New York Hilton, Avenue of the Americas, 53rd to 54th Street, New York City. Most speakers, organizers and sponsors were known members or supporters of the Communist Party USA.
GI Civil Liberties Defense Committee
Massachusetts Committee to Abolish HUAC
As at February 28, 1969, Howard Zinn was listed as a sponsor of the Massachusetts Committee to Abolish the House Un-American Activities Committee.
Daniel Ellsberg first met Howard Zinn at Faneuil Hall in Boston in early 1971, where they both spoke against the indictments of Eqbal Ahmad and Philip Berrigan for “conspiring to kidnap Henry Kissinger.” They marched with the rest of the crowd to make citizens’ arrests at the Boston office of the FBI. Later that spring, they went with their affinity group (including Noam Chomsky, Cindy Fredericks, Marilyn Young, Mark Ptashne, Zelda Gamson, Fred Branfman and Mitch Goodman), to the May Day actions blocking traffic in Washington.
DSA Socialist School
At the Boston Democratic Socialists of America Socialist School, Fall 1989, Howard Zinn taught, the "History of Socialism, Diane Balser, director of the statewide Women's Legislative Network, taught "Socialist Feminism", Paul Joseph, a Tufts professor spoke on "Socialism in a Changing World", and Tom Gallagher spoke on "The Future of Socialism" . 
New Party builder
New Party News Fall 1994 listed over 100 New Party activists-"some of the community leaders, organizers, retirees,, scholars, artists, parents, students, doctors, writers and other activists who are building the NP" the list included Howard Zinn, historian.
Socialist Debs award
Every year since the mid 1960s the Indiana based Eugene V. Debs Foundation holds Eugene Debs Award Banquet in Terre Haute, to honor an approved social or labor activist. The 1998 honoree, was Howard Zinn.
Remembering Richard Cloward
On September 20, 2001 500 people gathered at the CUNY Graduate Center in New York City to celebrate Cloward’s Life and Work. Speakers included Frances Fox Piven, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Gus Newport-(all members of Democratic Socialists of America), activists Howard Zinn, June Jordan, Joel Rogers and Tim Sampson plus long time voter registration advocate, Demos president, Miles Rapoport.
Endorsing ANSWER campaign
Since Oct. 26, 2002 when hundreds of thousands of people marched and rallied in Washington and San Francisco against the Bush administration's growing war on Iraq, the government has pretended that nothing happened.
The International ANSWER coalition, which called the Oct. 26 demonstrations, is now building new national actions on the Martin Luther King holiday weekend in January. It is also gathering hundreds of thousands of registrations in a referendum against the war, both online and on paper.
The group's web site now has a long list of endorsers for the Jan. 18-19 actions that shows the broad social character of this movement. It encompasses groups and individuals from almost every area of activism for justice, equality, peace and a better life for all the people.
Key endorsers of the Oct. 26 demonstrations like former Attorney General Ramsey Clark, Rev. Graylan Hagler, Dr. Hans Christof von Sponeck--former director of the UN Oil for Food Program, Bishop Thomas Gumbleton, Mahdi Bray of the Muslim American Society Freedom Foundation, people's historian Howard Zinn and Congressperson Cynthia McKinney Dr. James Tate, Executive Director, National Alliance Against Racism and Political Repression; John Dear, former executive director of the Fellowship for Reconciliation; Attorney Michael Tarif Warren, singer Patti Smith, the Rev. Herbert Daughtry, author Ron Kovic and hundreds more.
Endorsers of the project included Howard Zinn.
Not In Our Name
In August 2004 Howard Zinn a writer and historian endorsed an anti “Bush Team” Protest at the Republican National Convention in New York, organized by Not In Our Name, an organization closely associated with the Revolutionary Communist Party.
- ...we have assembled 100 notable Americans and 40 family members of those who died to sign this 9/11 Statement, which calls for immediate public attention to unanswered questions that suggest that people within the current administration may indeed have deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen, perhaps as a pretext for war.
Frontpagemagazine dialogue between Dennis Prager and Howard Zinn
The online newspaper known as FrontPageMagazine (FPM), featured a two-part "dialogue" between conservative radio talk how host and writer Dennis Prager and Howard Zinn, by then a professor emeritus of Political Science at Boston University<ref.What a Fool Believes: Howard Zinn, Part 1, FrontPageMagazine.com, September 12, 2006, www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=24355, and Part 2, Sept. 19, 2006</ref>.
Prager wrote at the end of Part 1 that "a complete transcript and broadcast of this interview will appear on "pragerradio.com".
It is well worth reading what Zinn said, in his own words, about America, as well as the way he evaded questions about his often false characterizations of events in American history.
"Teach-In on the War"
Providence - Brown University, November 14 2004? "Teach-In on the War".
4:00pm Howard Zinn, introduced by Evelyn Hu-DeHart, 001 Solomon Hall.
MDS Board member
Elliott Adams, Senia Barragan (Student Representative), David Barsamian, Noam Chomsky, Carl Davidson, Bernardine Dohrn, Bill Fletcher Jr, Bert Garskof, David Graeber, Tom Hayden, Gerald Horne, Mike James, Robin D G Kelley, Mike Klonsky, Ethelbert Miller, Charlene Mitchell, Michael Rossman, Mark Rudd, Howard Zinn.
The business portion of the meeting followed with each board nominee introducing themselves to the conference. The board, a very diverse group, was voted in by acclamation... Board nominees where were not able to attend the conference were included in the appointment by acclamation. The list included Elliott Adams, Panama Vicente Alba, Tariq Ali, Stanley Aronowitz, David Barsamian, Rosalyn Baxandall, John Bracey, Jr., John Brittain, Robb Burlage, Noam Chomsky, Jayne Cortez, Carl Davidson, Angela Davis, Bernardine Dohrn, Barbara Epstein, Gustavo Esteva, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Stephen Fleischman, Bill Fletcher Jr, Tom Hayden, Gerald Horne, Florence Howe, Mike James, Robin D G Kelley, Alice Kessler Harris, Rashid Khalidi, Mike Klonsky, Betita Martinez, Ethelbert Miller, Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, Barbara Ransby, Patricia Rose, Michael Rossman, Studs Terkel, Charlene Teters, Jerry Tucker, Immanuel Wallerstein, Cornel West, Leonard Weinglass and Howard Zinn.
Free Mumia Abu-Jamal
World Can't Wait
- James Abourezk, former U.S. Senator, South Dakota
- Rosemary Candelario, pro-choice activist
- Warren Hern MD, Physician and pro-choice activist
- Mark Leno, CA State Assembly
- Mark Crispin Miller, professor & writer
- Tomas Olmos, attorney
- Boots Riley, hip hop performer
- Lynne Stewart, attorney
- Gore Vidal, writer
- Sunsara Taylor, writer
- Howard Zinn, historian
- Cynthia McKinney, former U.S. Congressional Representative, Georgia
Open letter to Andy Stern
- "We are writing to express our deep concern about SEIU's threatened trusteeship over its third largest local, United Healthcare Workers (UHW). We believe that there must always be room within organized labor for legitimate and principled dissent, if our movement is to survive and grow. Putting UHW under trusteeship would send a very troubling message and be viewed, by many, as a sign that internal democracy is not valued or tolerated within SEIU. In our view, this would have negative consequences for the workers directly affected, the SEIU itself, and the labor movement as a whole. We strongly urge you to avoid such a tragedy."
Colombia Support Network
- Rev. Daniel Berrigan, S.J., Activist, Writer, Poet
- Larry Birns, Council on Hemishperic Affairs
- Blase Bonpane, Office of the Americas
- Fr. Roy Bourgeois, School of the Americas Watch
- Noam Chomsky, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Kristin Dawkins, Institute for Agricultural and Trade Policies
- Rev. John Dear, S.J. Activist and Writer
- Kathleen Falk, Dane County Executive
- Al Gedicks, University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse
- Daniel Gomez-Ibanez, The Peace Council
- Rev. Thomas Gumbleton, Auxiliary Bishop of Detroit
- Edward S. Herman, Activist and Writer
- Robert McChesney, University of Illinois
- Daniel Kovalik, United Steele Workers
- Mark Pocan, Wisconsin Legislature
- Mark Sherman, Lawyer
- Howard Zinn, Activist and Writer
Opposing Israeli Policy in Gaza
- As human beings, we are shocked and appalled at the mass destruction unleashed by the State of Israel against the people of Gaza in its military operation, following years of Israeli occupation, siege, and deprivation.
- As progressives, we reject the same justifications for the carnage that we heard ad nauseam from the supporters of the Second Iraq War: the so-called "war on terror," the "clash of civilizations," the "need to re-establish deterrence" – all of which served to justify a misguided and unnecessary war, with disastrous consequences for America and Iraq.
Independent Progressive Politics Network
The People Speak
Zinn has been a frequent contributor to the liberal magazine, The Progressive.
- Zinn's Obituary
- Comrades—1963 Vietnam and Peace Movement Summary—the Lead
- Dinner Program for the Herbert Aptheke Dinner, April 28, 1966
- Undated, GI Civil Liberties Defense Committee letterhead circa 1969
- Massachusetts Committee to Abolish HUAC letterhead February 28, 1969
- Democratic left, Jan./Feb. 1990, page 12
- Eugene V. Debs Foundation homepage, accessed March 14, 2011
- WW Endorsers for January anti-war events By Deirdre Griswold Reprinted from the June 27, 2002, issue of Workers World newspaper
- WAR TIMES January 29, 2002
- 911 Truth statement
- "Teach-In on the War"
- Signers of Campaign to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal, Now
- [http://colombiasupport.net/2009/colombian_army_csn_report_08_09.pdf, COLOMBIA SUPPORT NETWORK P.O. BOX 1505 MADISON, WISCONSIN 53701, August 24, 2009, THE COLOMBIAN ARMY: TERRORISM, THIEVERY, BUNGLING AND MASSACRES]
- CSN Advisory board
- The Magnes Zionist website: American Jews Oppose Israeli Policy in Gaza