- 1 Socialist Scholars Conference
- 2 New Party builder
- 3 Hearing on Economic Insecurity
- 4 Association for Union Democracy
- 5 Open letter to Andy Stern
- 6 Independent Progressive Politics Network
- 7 Vietnam trip, 2011
- 8 Democratic Socialists of America
- 9 New Politics
- 10 National Jobs For All Coalition
- 11 New Labor Forum
- 12 Harry Bridges Project Advisory Board
- 13 Retail Justice Alliance Steering Committee
- 14 References
Elaine Bernard is an Harvard labor academic and a leading member of Democratic Socialists of America. She is a former Canadian and one time president of the British Columbia New Democratic Party.
Socialist Scholars Conference
Elaine Bernard; Arthur Lipow, Michael Harrington Center; Kurt Stand, Democratic Socialists of America and Judy Page, New Party were speakers on the Towards a New Party panel sponsored by the Democratic Socialists of America at the Tenth Annual Socialist Scholars Conference. The conference was held April 24-26, 1992 at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York City.
New Party builder
New Party News Fall 1994 listed over 100 New Party activists-"some of the community leaders, organizers, retirees,, scholars, artists, parents, students, doctors, writers and other activists who are building the NP" the list included Elaine Bernard, Harvard Trade Union Program.
Hearing on Economic Insecurity
Boston Democratic Socialists of America was involved in the January 1996 Boston Hearing on Economic Insecurity. Participants included Joe Faherty, DSA member Elaine Bernard, John Kerry, Joe Moakley, Barney Frank, Joe Kennedy, John Olver, Marty Meehan.
Association for Union Democracy
Open letter to Andy Stern
On May 1 2008, Elaine Bernard, of the Labor and Worklife Program at Harvard Law School signed an open letter to SEIU president Andy Stern in protest at SEIU move to force its local United Healthcare Workers into trusteeship.
- "We are writing to express our deep concern about SEIU's threatened trusteeship over its third largest local, United Healthcare Workers (UHW). We believe that there must always be room within organized labor for legitimate and principled dissent, if our movement is to survive and grow. Putting UHW under trusteeship would send a very troubling message and be viewed, by many, as a sign that internal democracy is not valued or tolerated within SEIU. In our view, this would have negative consequences for the workers directly affected, the SEIU itself, and the labor movement as a whole. We strongly urge you to avoid such a tragedy."
Independent Progressive Politics Network
Vietnam trip, 2011
In April 2011 Tim Paulson, of the San Francisco Labor Council traveled to Vietnam, on business and pleasure. In Vietnam Paulson met with his friend Kent Wong, from the UCLA Labor Studies Department. Wong arrived in Hanoi the same night Paulson arrived, along with Elaine Bernard, Chair of the Harvard Trade Union Program; Abel Valenzuela, Jr., Chair of the UCLA Cesar Chavez Chicano Studies Department; and Greg Mantsios, Director of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education & Labor Studies at The City University of New York.
The group was picked up by leaders from the national Vietnamese General Federation of Trade Unions whom Paulson had visited with Kent Wong three years previously. The San Francisco and Alameda Labor Councils and the Asian Pacific American Labor Association have twice hosted leaders from the VGTU for labor exchanges as well. Wong had organized this conference with American and Vietnamese labor scholars to exchange ideas regarding organizing policy, the role of labor education and labor law between the two countries—one country controlled by capital and the other gradually allowing corporations to “invest” in its economy. They invited Paulson to participate before he continued his vacation. 
Democratic Socialists of America
Democratic Socialists of America Vice-Chairs in 2009 were;
DSA Labor Committee
In February 2009 Boston Democratic Socialists of America sponsored a forum on the Employee Free Choice Act with DSA Vice-Chair Elaine Bernard, MA SEIU Political Director Harris Gruman and Steve Schnapp from United for a Fair Economy before about 40 people. Out of that meeting a DSA Labor Committee emerged, organized by David Duhalde with several non-members, working to build support for EFCA. The group has been joining with Jobs with Justice and tenant groups to publicize other issues related to the economic crisis.
Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Awards Reception
On June 30, 2009, Boston Democratic Socialists of America presented its annual Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Award to Professor, author, and health care reformer Rashi Fein, along with the winners of a union election at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton, accepted by Sonia Marshall, the key organizer of the campaign. Sheila Decter of the Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action presented the award to Rashi Fein. The event was held at the home of Marcia Peters and David Karaus. Mike Fadel of SEIU Local 1199 (formerly Boston DSA staff person) and the AFSCME-affiliated New England Organizing Project were benefactors of the event.
Elaine Bernard was a supporter of the event.
National Jobs For All Coalition
New Labor Forum
New Labor Forum is published by Center for Labor, Community, and Policy Studies, Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education & Labor Studies.
Editorial Board members listed, as of March 2013; were; Elaine Bernard, Ron Blackwell, Barbara Bowen, Kate Bronfenbrenner, Arthur Cheliotes, Mike Davis, Amy Dean, Steve Early, Hector Figueroa, Janice Fine, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Juan Gonzalez, Marie Gottschalk, Gerald Hudson, Lisa Jordan, Tom Juravich, Robin D G Kelley, Jose LaLuz, Nelson Lichtenstein, Manning Marable, Ruth Needleman, Ai-jen Poo, Katie Quan, Adolph Reed, Daisy Rooks, Andrew Ross, Kent Wong.
Harry Bridges Project Advisory Board
As of 2014 Elaine Bernard served on the The Harry Bridges Project Advisory Board. The project was formed to promote the work an ideals of the late Harry Bridges, an iconic Bay Area labor leader and one time secret member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party USA.
Retail Justice Alliance Steering Committee
- Democratic Left, September/October 1996, page 6]
- SSE Tenth Annual Conference Program, 1992
- Dem. Left May/June 1996
- SF Labor Council blog, Tim Paulson’s Blog: 5/9/11, Posted by Tim Paulson on May 9, 2011
- TYR, June 2009
- TYR, June 2009
- TYR, Sep. 2009
- National Jobs For All Coalition: Who We Are (accessed on Nov. 16, 2010)
- NLF website, accessed March 6,2013
- The Harry Bridges Project Advisory Board
- Justice Alliance, who we are