Barbara Epstein is Professor in the History of Consciousness Board at the University of California, Santa Cruz. She is author of "Political Protest and Cultural Revolution: Nonviolent Direct Action in the 1970s and 1980s".
Barbara Epstein joined the Communist Party USA in 1963 and left in 1968, while a graduate student at Berkeley.
In the mid 1990s Barbara Epstein wasa contributing editor to Oakland based Institute for Social and Economic Studies- sponsor of CrossRoads magazine, which sought to promote dialogue and building new alliances among progressives and leftists... and to bring diverse Marxist and socialist traditions to bear while exploring new strategies and directions for the progressive political movements.
"Cultural Politics and Social Movements"
- Bridging the worlds of activism and academia-social movement theory informed with the real experiences of activists-this volume of accessible essays brings together insights from European New Social Movement theorists, U.S. scholars of social movements, and activists involved in social movements from the 1960s to the 1990s.
Contributors included : Alice Echols, Barbara Epstein, Richard Cloward, Marcy Darnovsky, Jeffrey Escoffier, Ilene Rose Feinman, Richard Flacks, Cynthia Hamilton, Allen Hunter, L. A. Kauffman, Rebecca E. Klatch, Margit Mayer, Alberto Melucci, Bronislaw Misztal, Osha Neumann, Frances Fox Piven, Craig Reinarman, Roland Roth, Arlene Stein, Mindy Spatt, Andrew Szasz, Noel Sturgeon and Howard Winant.
Socialist Scholars 1997
Speakers included: Mimi Abramovitz, Daniel Singer, Harry Magdoff, Istvan Meszaros, Barbara Epstein, Ruth Sidel, Carlos Vilas, Rep. Jerrold Nadler, L. A. Kauffman, Leo Panitch, Hector Figueroa, David Abdulah, Louise Merriweather, Ngugi wa Thiongo, Amiri Baraka, Sonia Sanchez, Alexandr Buzgalin, Leith Mullings, Axel Queval, Pap Ndale, Jean-Pierre Page, and "dozens more..."
"Back to Basics"
16 Working Panels;
- David Glenn on labor and politics
- Steve Hart on spirituality
- David Moberg on the international labor market
- Francis Calpotura on community organizing
- Joel Rogers on citizen action and social policy
- Lisa McGowan on international finance
- Katherine Sciacchitano on welfare reform
- Robert McChesney on the media
- Chris Lehmann on class in America
- Dan Cantor on electoral strategies
- Salim Muwakkil on African-American politics
- Karen Dolan on the House Progressive Caucus
- Barbara Epstein on feminism today
- Micah Sifry on campaign finance reform
- Sonya Huber on students and politics
- Nelson Lichtenstein on the future of labor
MDS Board member
The business portion of the meeting followed with each board nominee introducing themselves to the conference. The board, a very diverse group, was voted in by acclamation... Board nominees where were not able to attend the conference were included in the appointment by acclamation. The list included Elliott Adams, Panama Vicente Alba, Tariq Ali, Stanley Aronowitz, David Barsamian, Rosalyn Baxandall, John Bracey, Jr., John Brittain, Robb Burlage, Noam Chomsky, Jayne Cortez, Carl Davidson, Angela Davis, Bernardine Dohrn, Barbara Epstein, Gustavo Esteva, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Stephen Fleischman, Bill Fletcher Jr, Tom Hayden, Gerald Horne, Florence Howe, Mike James, Robin D G Kelley, Alice Kessler Harris, Rashid Khalidi, Mike Klonsky, Betita Martinez, Ethelbert Miller, Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, Barbara Ransby, Patricia Rose, Michael Rossman, Studs Terkel, Charlene Teters, Jerry Tucker, Immanuel Wallerstein, Cornel West, Leonard Weinglass and Howard Zinn.
Kehilla Middle East Political Action Committee
As at March 31, 2007, the following served on the Committee:
- Rabbi Burt Jacobson
- Judy Gussman
- Jae Scharlin
- Dolores Taller
- Beth Weinberger
- Joan Bernstein
- Michael Robin
- Joel Brody
- Dan Weisburg
- Barbara Epstein
Mapping Socialist Strategies
Mapping Socialist Strategies was convened from August 1-4 in Briarcliff Manor, NY, by the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung—New York Office. It brang together 100 influential progressives and leftists from across the United States, Canada, and Europe for an “un-conference” on socialist strategies.
Attendees included Barbara Epstein.
- Crossroads March 1996
- Temple University website: Cultural Politics and Social Movements (accessed on Jan. 19, 2010)
- Issue #1 1998 • Democratic Left • page 16
- [Democratic Left Issue 3 1998, page 22]
- Kehilla Middle East Political Action Committee website